Bloody Poop ***GRAPHIC POOP PICS***

LittleBits

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
This morning was the 4th morning in a row that I've found bloody poop in the poo-tray. I cannot be sure it's the same chicken, as they are probably moving around at night (not sure about that), but it is in the same spot each morning. Tomorrow I will see if the same hen is in that spot when I go to open the run door. I am kind of assuming it's from the same hen.

I've looked at poop pictures of what's normal, what's not, intestinal shedding, etc., but am having a hard time putting this poop in any of the categories that I've looked at. http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 Seems like a lot of blood to me, kind of stringy and sticky-like. 11 hens, 3-9 eggs/day, all about 3 years old. They eat crumbles, scraps, and green weeds that I pull for them.

They were all debugged with permethrin in August, wormed with Wazine and 12d later with Ivermectin (soaked in a piece of bread). A few days ago had their poop checked by a vet, who said all samples were negative. I don't see any mites or lice (never did but dusted anyway). No blood on any of the eggs but don't know if this hen that is pooping blood is laying one...

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me? They are all acting normal, eating like pigs; nothing whatsoever out of the ordinary, except that their feathers are not growing back. Lots of them have bare backs, very little regrowth in the past 3 months. One hen has a pale comb and waddle, but she's had this for quite some time and acts just like the rest of them.

Day 3 sample

Day 3 sample

Day 3 sample

Day 4 sample

Day 4 sample

Last edited:
Well, I think I would have to treat for coccidiosis even though they are eating like pigs. The treatment would be Corid (amprollium) liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It is in the cattle section of the feedstores. Another drug would be sulfamethoxine (Di-Methox) which is also an antibiotic sulfa drug that would treat infection.

That certainly is a lot of blood. If you hens were younger, I would immediately begin treating them with Corid, but Coccidiosis doesn't usually affect older birds. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try Corid, though. Worms would be my other guess; Wazine and Ivermectin are not the best wormers, as many worms are resistant to Ivermectin and Wazine only kills roundworms. If possible, I would try and purchase some Valbazen, SafeGuard, or the Worminator (http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584).

As for the feather loss/not growing in feathers, I've heard that worming with certain wormers can disrupt feather growth. Maybe that is what has happened to your hens? The pale comb/wattles is a typical sign of a molting chicken, though I would expect egg production to be lower if molting was the case. Have you tried giving them high protein foods like wet cat food, mealworms, other insects, scrambled eggs, etc. to help them grow in their feathers faster? Lastly, do you have a rooster? When roosters mate the hens excessively, they often leave bare spots on the hens' backs.

Sorry I can't offer more help.

Thank you both.
Questions:
1. If it is the cocci, wouldn't it spread to more than one bird? Would I be seeing more blood throughout the poo-tray?
2. If I treat for cocci, is there an egg withdrawal time with antibiotics?
3. Yes, we have a roo, but he doesn't seem to be excessively rough with them, does his thing and gets off right away. They seem to be pretty submissive.
4. The hen with the paleness actually is one of the few with all her feathers intact!
5. As far as the worms, the vet said there wasn't any...??? I gave her 4 different samples (from different birds).
6. The feather loss and nongrowth has been there long before I wormed them in August. We've had these hens/roo since April, and most of the feathers have been gone since late May. Wormed, probably for the first time in their lives, in August.
7. Egg production has been lower lately, but I thought it may be the long nights. We've got at least 12 hrs of dark right now. They are all roosting by 7:30pm and I open up the door around 7 am and it's still pretty dark out. Today we only got 3 eggs.
8. Do chickens molt this time of year? I can't tell if they are or not, since there are a few with all their feathers and those who don't have any on their backs. A few have rather bare necks, too.
9. I do give them some dry cat food, but not every day. Occasionally buttermilk mixed with their crumbles. Should I be giving them a constant high protein diet - more than what's in the regular feed?

I do appreciate your help in this.
What about intestinal shedding?

FWIW, someone else posted pictures like that and three-five days later their bird was dead. Not saying that will happen to you, just that you should take this very seriously.

-Kathy

To answer your question about molting, most of mine are molting right now or have just completed one. Most people raise chicks in spring, so they have the first big molt inthe fall, and every year thereafter with exceptions. Feeding a bit of extra protein in the diet is good for molting. 20 % is what I prefer. Cat food is very high in protein, so be careful to not overdo it.

Update: There has not been any bloody poo for 2 mornings now but haven't gone out there yet - still quite dark out, so I'll let them sleep! All hens acting fine. They're all alive and well (far as I know they're well...) I didn't treat for cocci or worm them again, but want you all to know I really appreciate your input and advice - it does not go unheeded, even though I didn't do anything.

So, if anyone could tell me - what IS intestinal shedding? (I'm also going to look that up on here and see if there is anything about it...) Why does it happen and how? Since the blood is gone, I assume that we're OK on it NOT being cocci or worm problem?

Update: There has not been any bloody poo for 2 mornings now but haven't gone out there yet - still quite dark out, so I'll let them sleep! All hens acting fine. They're all alive and well (far as I know they're well...) I didn't treat for cocci or worm them again, but want you all to know I really appreciate your input and advice - it does not go unheeded, even though I didn't do anything.

So, if anyone could tell me - what IS intestinal shedding? (I'm also going to look that up on here and see if there is anything about it...) Why does it happen and how? Since the blood is gone, I assume that we're OK on it NOT being cocci or worm problem?

Mmmm....anyone with further input? No blood x5d now. Can't find anything on here that is similar to this situation. Haven't treated for cocci or worms (again). Everyone still acting normal. Appreciate any opinions...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom