Bloody poop

Since the egg was so fragile it broke in your hand, I'm concerned she may be trying to pass a second egg, and this one may not have a shell at all. Two eggs coming down the oviduct at almost the same time is more common than most people realize. It's one of the most common causes of egg binding in my own direct experience with episodes of egg binding in my flock, as well as episodes we deal with here on this site. Since there is not enough calcium in the shell gland (uterus) for two eggs so close together, the one with no shell often gets stuck as it's much more difficult to push out than an egg with a hard shell.

The best treatment is to give a calcium citrate pill directly into the hen's beak, the citrate form being absorbed much faster than other forms of calcium. Are you in the US or Europe or in Asia? This is easy to find in the US as any place that sells human vitamins will carry it. (photo below) If you aren't in the US, look for any calcium that is at least 600mg strength. This will stimulate contractions that will help the hen expel a blockage in the oviduct.

After giving the dose of calcium, place the hen in a quiet place where she will not be disturbed with water to drink.
View attachment 3698278
Sorry I just woke up, I live in cali so yes US. but do eggshells or egg yolks work? We use our eggs a lot.

She needs much more calcium than she would get from egg shells. It's sort of like the difference between trying to get vitamin C from an orange and a 500mg tablet of vitamin C. The tablet has four times the amount. Get the calcium right away. If she's trying to pass another egg, she could end up in big trouble if it gets stuck.

She needs much more calcium than she would get from egg shells. It's sort of like the difference between trying to get vitamin C from an orange and a 500mg tablet of vitamin C. The tablet has four times the amount. Get the calcium right away. If she's trying to pass another egg, she could end up in big trouble if it gets stuck.
She is still really loud but she is walking, I think she was dramatic but I'll watch for more blood

Back
Top Bottom