Blooie's Blankie Fort

It has been brought to my attention that I neglected to let folks know what eggs from @MyPetChicken I have in the incubators. Details, details!

Okay, in the Brinsea Octagon 20 (beginning to love that incubator!) I have:

1 Cream Legbar
1 Swedish Flower Hen
3 Green Magnolias
1 Olive Egger
1 Black Copper Marans
1 Blue Copper Marans
3 Ameri-flowers

In the Farm Innovators 4200 (jury is still out on that incubator - big, bulky, hard to work with)

2 Cream Legbars
1 Swedish Flower Hen
3 Green Magnolias
2 Olive Eggers
2 Blue Copper Marans
4 Ameri-flowers
2 Bielefelders

Well, today is day 4. I guess that means I have to hold a candle to them and warm up their little hineys. No, wait, I have to candle them so they know that nightlights are effective. Or do I hold a candle to them so they don't go sun blind from the unfamiliar glare when they come out?

I dunno, but I'll be doing it tonight anyway just on accounta everyone says I'm supposed to. While I'm at it, I might as well look at air cells, mark them, and the look for stuff in the eggs besides whites and a yolk. The adventure continues......

Before I climb back into the blankie fort and finish the picture of the Easter Bunny with his brightly colored eggs, I'll let you know what I see - if anything!

Well, today is day 4.  I guess that means I have to hold a candle to them and warm up their little hineys.  No, wait, I have to candle them so they know that nightlights are effective.  Or do I hold a candle to them so they don't go sun blind from the unfamiliar glare when they come out?  

I dunno, but I'll be doing it tonight anyway just on accounta everyone says I'm supposed to.  While I'm at it, I might as well look at air cells, mark them, and the look for stuff in the eggs besides whites and a yolk.  The adventure continues......

Before I climb back into the blankie fort and finish the picture of the Easter Bunny with his brightly colored eggs, I'll let you know what I see - if anything!

Don't freak if ya don't see anything- I couldn't tell until day 7! :fl

Don't freak if ya don't see anything- I couldn't tell until day 7!
fl.gif
I won't. All feeble humor aside, as I've said some had air cells that I've had some serious doubts about, so I'm mainly checking them and hope to do the first air cell marks so I have some idea where they're at. I won't candle again until Day 7 and then Day 17. I'm too clumsy and can just see myself messing with the eggs to the point of breaking another one. <sigh> I got 2 Black Copper Marans eggs and broke one the first day.

I won't. All feeble humor aside, as I've said some had air cells that I've had some serious doubts about, so I'm mainly checking them and hope to do the first air cell marks so I have some idea where they're at. I won't candle again until Day 7 and then Day 17. I'm too clumsy and can just see myself messing with the eggs to the point of breaking another one. I got 2 Black Copper Marans eggs and broke one the first day.
:fl Good luck, you can do this!! :hugs

<gulp> I know that would be best.....but is it safe for my eggs?
idunno.gif
I am the kind of clumsy person who can walk into a support post at Walmart. I know - I've done it!
lau.gif
But I guess that makes perfect sense. Thanks, my friend!
You don't have to candle every single one. Just 3 or 4 from each incubator. If they are in an auto-turner, you don't even need to take them out of the incubator. Taking the top off isn't going to hurt anything. Remember that broodies get off their nest every day, so a few minutes while you candle isn't the end of the world.

Back
Top Bottom