Blooie's Blankie Fort

Too early for me, the kids would have taken a nap with me. Cute name, especially if it's a rooster.

Can you see into those dark eggs? Are you using one of those little candlers? How many are looking good?

I have a 250 lumen flashlight that I'm using, OHLD, and it does help see through the dark ones. So far I've seen clear spider veins in 8 of them, but it was pretty early yet when I did them, and I might have a better idea tomorrow.

Day 6! I had the kids (Katie, Evan and Kendra) at 5:00 am because Jen had an early medical appointment, and of course it was still dark. So I took Katie and Evan back to the room where the big incubator is and took out an egg that I saw development in before. I shined the light in there and they got to see that tiny red spot move!! Well, now that chick better hatch and it better be a girl because Katie's already named it - she calls it "Dancing Queen" or "Queenie" for short. They were both as fascinated as I was!

Got the day 7 candling tomorrow. I think I figured out how to do it without removing the eggs from the incubator. I tried it on a couple this morning - just opened the top and held the light on them - and it seemed to work. I ain't no expert on this, but seems the less handling the better.

I can only imagine! How wonderful for them! My little girlies would just be in heaven with eggs!

My daughter loves watching them hatch.... here she is watching the baby chicks that had aleady hatched.

She looks totally captivated!!

Okay, looking ahead and finding problems where they don't even exist yet, how the heck am I gonna know which chicks hatched out of which egg? I mean, when they start hatching and flopping all over the place, with bits of marked egg shell here, there and yon, how do I know which chick came out of which egg? Do I make a thingy on the top of the incubator like the top of a Whitman's Sampler box and then hope nobody moved the caramel to the toffee slot?

I know, I know....Diane, go have another soda and curl up with a good novel. <sigh>

Okay, looking ahead and finding problems where they don't even exist yet, how the heck am I gonna know which chicks hatched out of which egg? I mean, when they start hatching and flopping all over the place, with bits of marked egg shell here, there and yon, how do I know which chick came out of which egg? Do I make a thingy on the top of the incubator like the top of a Whitman's Sampler box and then hope nobody moved the caramel to the toffee slot?

I know, I know....Diane, go have another soda and curl up with a good novel. <sigh>
Well I usually know who comes out of what egg cause I'm glue to the bator at hatch....lol

People do fasion "pens" or trays or sections in there bator. I've seen it done with different things.

Well I usually know who comes out of what egg cause I'm glue to the bator at hatch....lol

People do fasion "pens" or trays or sections in there bator. I've seen it done with different things.

I have a brinsea that has 2 trays, I thought for sure the chicks would stay in their own tray....not a chance. They were like monkeys....I had silkies (my own), they should be easy to pick out. I had Spitzhauben, they seem to be easy to pick out, and bantam EE's, they came out all different colors! To top it off, I had what was supposed to be silkies/sizzle/frilkies and Crested Cream Legbars hatch a few days earlier. I tossed them all together with the 28 new additions, and I have NO IDEA WHICH CHICKEN is which.

The one chicken I can pick out from all the others has 4 stripes down it's back, and tiny squiggle on it's neck and a spot on its head. It came out of the sizzle/silkie/frilkie/CCL batch. It's not a silkie, and I don't think it's a CCL. It must be an extra egg they sent. I know which one it is, because it has spraddle leg and I had to hobble it.

All I know is they are SO CUTE!! I can't keep them all, but how am I ever going to choose which ones to sell?

Hiya, Blooie!!...was wondering about you this morning and found you hiding in your blankie fort....hilarious!!

I made a 2 section basket thingy, sides go as high as lid will allow, to separate 2 different crosses...will band them as I move them to brooder.
Will have to watch close to see if pinkie egg chick(brahma) looks significantly different.
Blue to lower left of pink is the ones that's pipped.

frow.gif
Here I yam, @aart ! It's my "safe zone"! How's the pipping going?

The baskets look like a real good idea, but I have 8 different breeds/varieties of eggs so that would be a lot of baskets. I'd be a <dare I say it?> basket case before I got them all moved! I'm sorry - my brain kept saying, "Don't go there" but my fingers kept typing!

Hi , everyone I would like to join in on this thread if it's ok. I set 30 eggs on March 24th at 4:00 pm eastern time. I had 24 eggs ordered from Meyer Hatchery which were shipped out the afternoon of the 22nd and were at my local Post Office at 7:30 am the 24th ,here in Maine. I don't know how they do it. I opened the box up when I got home the invoice said 24 Black Australorp eggs, plus two free one's. The box had 35 eggs in it , that was a surprise . I did have 5 cracked eggs, so that put me down to thirty. Those five I opened up and they all had bulls -eyes so that was encouraging. The remaining 30 I candled showed no hair line cracks and the air cells were all intact and very small. The eggs looked very fresh. Meyer Hatchery ships there eggs in those foam blocks with the cut outs. The five that were cracked was because they had put two eggs in the same hole with nothing between them. I don't know if they had more eggs than they had orders for that day or what. This will be my second time at hatching eggs. Last year I set 21 eggs and had 15 chicks hatch out. I don't know if that was beginners luck or not. Last year I stumbled on a thread where we all set eggs about the same time. It was fun comparing notes and giving each other morale support. I made my incubator from a container that caterers use to transport hot food in . I also made a candler from a thermos cooler I picked up at Good Will. I will see if I can find some pictures I posted last year of my incubator.

Back
Top Bottom