Blue Andalusian thread!

Pics
I was wondering if anyone here have had a broody Andalusian? I've already searched the web and most sites are saying that it is a non-setter breed; but one can hope?!

You can definitely hope. I have a family of girls in my flock and it seems that every year, at least one of them goes broody. Only that one family though and I am sure to breed from someone in that family every year. Not that I want them to go broody at an inconvenient time, but I think it's a good thing. Just my opinion.

I was wondering if anyone here have had a broody Andalusian? I've already searched the web and most sites are saying that it is a non-setter breed; but one can hope?!

I just noticed that your name is "Alaska Fowls" Do you have Andalusians in Alaska? Do you have males? If you do, you're going to really have to safeguard against a frost bitten comb. Make sure your coop is not drafty. Don't seal it up air tight, you want the air to be able to make an exchange so their breath doesn't cause moisture to collect on their comb, but you don't want the wind to be able to blow through. Vents at the top of the walls on your coop is generally sufficient. Make sure your roosts are not way up at the ceiling.

I need to move this thread up to page 1.

I'm having great success in my Andalusian bantam project. I have a long way to go but I have several babies on the ground already this year so when they get grown up some more, I'll be able to start making choices!
that sounds cool, we have 1 chick that just hatched a week ago and it is tiny compared to the others that hatched at least half the size if not smaller.

I had one last year that hatched really tiny and she stayed that way for the longest time. She was penned with some bantam orpingtons and they were bigger than her for quite a while. Then she started growing. Now, she's almost as big as one of my bigger girls!

Funny how they can be so small/tiny and then recover. She is the daughter of my biggest male too so I was quite stunned by her size for the longest time!

I so miss the Andulusians that I had. I had 4 that almost made it to 5 months old. A dog got in and killed them and 2 other pullets as well as 2 of my turkeys. They were so pretty and I am so drooling over all the pics I have seen of every ones on this thread. They were only from the feed store but they were pretty. I plan to get some again this spring. The feed store guy promised that they will come in a couple of months or so.
I also love seeing the ones people are getting from breeders. I am still very new to chickens... That will be my goal later. To get a bird or two from a good breeder. Thanks everyone... I learned a lot from reading all the posts (yes,,, I went throw them;) It made me even more positive that I wanted more girls this year.

Back
Top Bottom