Blue Andalusian thread!

Hi everyone!
I decided to add 2 blue andalusian hens to my order of meat chicks from McMurray (I can never just order meat chicks... Always have to add something new). My purpose in picking this breed is I am in the search of a slightly larger, slightly less flighty, white egg layer. So many of the white egg layers I have had were such scatterbrains they would fly off into the woods never to return, or injure themselves.
So I am looking for a little more info on the breed. How is their temperament as a general rule? Do they lay relatively well? We also live in a relatively cold environment, here we are in April and there is still a decent amount of snow on the ground. I realize I will have to work to protect their combs, however will they do alright in the climate otherwise?
Thanks!

They should be fine in your environment.

I cannot speak for the temperament of McMurray's Andalusians. I can tell you though that they are on the list of flighty birds.

My birds, and many other breeders' birds, are fairly calm. We select for it. Idiot birds don't get to reproduce. I think if you take the time to get them used to you it could make all the difference in the world. Handle them. Work around them. Don't run through the pen. They are an active breed and excitable. They also make good foragers, because they are watchful and wary.

I have 2 of mcm Andalusians. I made sure to handle them as peeps and now they are the friendliest (along with their silver spangled hamburg buddy) birds that I have. As soon as they see me they come running to see if I have their mealworms. Also they lay better than any other breed that I have. I loved them so much that I ordered 6 more!

Thank you! I'll make sure to spend a little extra time with them. For the most part I keep super large, docile breeds. I have had white, and brown leghorns in the past and they were very difficult birds. My friendliest white egg layer was a Buttercup, but she didnt lay well. I have seen a fair amount of good things being said about andalusians recently, so I thought i'd give them a try. They will come in mid May, i'll post pics of the babies when they arrive!

Based off from photos of other hatchery Andi's, I stuck with MM. I liked their size and overall appearance better. Just my opinion though. I had two hens and two roosters. I'm down to one hen. However I have 2 upcoming young roosters, 1 possible rooster, 3 pullets all 2-3 months old that are my own hatching. I also have 13 new pullets from MM. I'm not saying people do not have them, but birds and/or eggs from active breeders seem harder to come by. I do realize as a breeder one must supply themselves first in their program before they can consider others. I think you'll be happy with their egg laying. I'm in Michigan so I'm well aware of bad winter weather and the real cold. It's been a continual learning curve. Next time during negative temps, any roosters I have will come inside.

Last edited:
My Andalusian and Andalusian cross chicks that descend from my MM stock. These were not really handled birds until they were a month of age when I transferred them to a well trafficked location. The curiosity and friendliness just bloomed. If you spend any amount of time with your birds, this is another positive to show you they can be great.

. Hard to take pics when all they want to do is stand on you.

Last edited:
Hey! This question may have already been answered, if so i apologize, i recently purchased a bunch of chicks and in the batch were 3 blue andalusians. I hot one each color, a splash, a black, and i guess the blue (shes slate gray). My best friend was dying for a blue so i gave her the gray one. My question is, is it possible for the black one to have some blue on her or is she going to be solid black? She is a little over 2 weeks old and her wings have feathers and she is starting to get some on her tail and chest and they are all black. I wasnt sure if that was something that may change later or not. Thank you for any input! ^_^

Back
Top Bottom