Blue Andalusian thread!

I'm wondering if there are any breeders who select for calmness who either have chicks in the Northern California area or could send hatching eggs? We need smart birds (they free range) but we don't want crazy, flighty birds. We are specifically looking for Blue Andalusians. I would appreciate any leads. Thanks!

I live in northern Nevada and I have several birds that I need to cull from my flock for reasons of space. If you don't necessarily want show birds, I do have some that are not even close but they are nice, calm birds. They're not lap chickens by any stretch of the imagination but they don't freak out if you get close and don't start trying to catch them.

I have a blue rooster that is a nice chatty boy. He is currently in with two hens that were separated for breeding. They were in a new pen, right next to their old pen. Before I moved them, they seemed perfectly calm. After moving them, their entire world was upset. They stayed that way for several days. When I added this rooster, it wasn't much time at all and they calmed right down. Now they even come up around my feet again like they did before. My point being when you change their environment, they will be on high alert for a little while. That's what makes them smart foragers. They can go to high alert with a half a moment's notice.

The birds that I have available are due for a molt. It would be nice to see them get out of here as right now, they are a bit chewed on from my local vicious mouse population. I'm working on eradicating them. They should molt in a couple months and then they'll be beautiful again.

I don't have a lot of blues available but maybe a couple. I have blacks and maybe a few splash as well.

You can send me a PM if you are interested and we can work out the details.

My newest upcoming rooster. Interestingly enough for his dad being such a bugger, he is not and hasn't been. He's either 18 or 19 weeks old now. Also going to share a picture of his half brother. Rufus is an absolutely awesome roo. Handles easy, protective of his hens, not kid aggressive either. The minute I pick him up he goes into sleep mode. Still have time before I have to make some flock decisions. Have no Andalusian hens right now. Lost both of my girls sadly. I'm waiting on the youngest batch of hens I have to grow. I still have 3 upcoming 15 week old hens. Might as well enjoy what I have for now. Still liking this breed. I'm very happy with my half Andalusian hens too. They were exactly what I had hoped they'd turn out to be. They're part of the 19 week batch. I keep them all marked so there'll be no confusion between any of them and my actual Andalusians during separation time.

We have a 4 week old blue that we just love!! She follows us around the yard, loves to pearch on our shoulders! She is just perfect. We have a mixed flock, She seems to be everyones favorite. Her name is Larry, She just looks like a Larry. We only have one BA, but wanted to share our experience so far. We give BA's a BIG
thumbsup.gif
!!!

We have 3 Andalusian hens - one a splash, and 2 blue. I just LOVE them!
love.gif
The hens are great layers - even through the winter and have a wonderful and charming personality. They are keen to free range, and enjoy checking out what you are doing. Not much for cuddles, but like being near you. Out of our mixed flock, they are my favourite!

We had a splash rooster that we had to cull - by the 10 month mark, he was a complete jerk! Attacked anyone who came into the pen. So bye bye Pancake. He was a looker though!

I highly recommend this breed!

I have a blue andalusian hen she is 1yr she always laid faithfully but for about 4-6wks now she hasn't laid anything?? I have bathed her no mites or lice. She's not molting. Comb is very red. She doesn't feel egg bound. I don't know why is this normal to stop? After just 1yr

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom