Blue Andalusian thread!

I raise Blue Andalusian I have 2 coops. In my main coop I have all 3 colors one each in the roosters and all 3 colors in the hens.
In coop 2 I have a Splash rooster x black hens for 100% blue chicks.
They are wonderful layers in hot weather and there not put off by the cold. I have had some frost bit on my roosters combs.
The eggs are fun to hatch easy to candle and the chicks are very active. If you handle the chicks early they do better.
And are not as flighty. I need to take new pictures as soon as the weather is better. My pictures can be seen on my page page 2.

Okey, so they can be tamed? So there will be black blue and splash offspring? Can I let them free range? Do they eat alot? Are the roosters mean? Do the hens lay alot? Thanks for the post!
smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Okey, so they can be tamed? So there will be black blue and splash offspring? Can I let them free range? Do they eat alot? Are the roosters mean? Do the hens lay alot? Thanks for the post!
smile.png

Happy to answer your questions
#1 yes they can be tamed if handled early and often
#2 blue black splash are the colors in Blue Andalusians I'll add more on the blue breeding etc. asap
#3 free range is fine they will do better at free range than in confinement but are ok with confinement with a large open run and coop
#4 the feed to egg is good even better at free range
#5 rooster are not mean just standoffish
#6 they do lay a lot of eggs, I'll get you a total of my last year asap

I'll have some new pictures asap that I can load them and post.​

Thanks for the info! My chickens free Range so that wouldn't be a problem! I haven't ever seen a Blue Andalusian bantam before! Hope somebody replys to you OSUman! Can't wait for the pics okiehen!

Just curious...have you checked out the feathersite.com page for Blue Andalusians? Here's the link in case you haven't... http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Andal/BRKAndalusians.html

I
always brood my chicks in my living room and we handle them often, so hopefully mine will be friendly. Not all of my chickens like to be held or petted, but they don't run away from me. They always coming running TO me when I walk outside, hoping I have treats for them. Even my Leghorns are pretty friendly, and they have a flighty/spooky reputation.

I have one blue andalusian hen...she is a hoot! I got her as a pullet in a group of four (ee bantam and 2 cochin bantams)...she looked like a crow in the neck & head. It took me forever to figure out her breed(I was unaware of BYCs). She is an escape artist, can fly to the top of a tree and is my only egg layer (right now). She has a huge comb that has suffered a little in the cold temps. She produces about 3 white eggs a week. She manages to get out of my covered chicken yard...I re-secured the top - she still managed to escape. She really wants to free range, but it would break my heart to lose her. When she is out and I bring breakfast she runs to meet me just chatting up a storm. She'll follow me around the yard checking out everything I do. I've ordered a couple of chicks...I hope they have her personality.
I love her blue feathers! Her eggs aren't large but they do have huge orange yolks and are so delicious. She does very well with the other breeds in the yard. She is the first to try a new food and she learns really quickly. I LOVE andalusians!

We also raise Blue Andalusians.We have all 3 colors..2 roos are blue and splash.Somehow during this horrible winter my BA's are the only Med.breed that didn't get frostbite..yet.
My hens are much nicer to live with than the roos but we have an understanding with my big blue guy..he understands I will hurt him real bad if he doesn't mind his manners
lol.png
They are about as easy to live with as most Med. roosters imo not bad but not close to sweet compared to the Delaware roos. Gentle and tame are all relative terms.Mine are nice but they are not ones to be carried around or perch on our shoulder while we feed.They do come running up and hang out under your feet so you can try not to fall on your face avoiding their toes
idunno.gif

I'm about to name our place the blue chicken..seems like we have blue overload..blue Andys, Blue Rocks, Blue Ameraucana's,Blue crosses,blue blue blue

Back
Top Bottom