Blue Andalusian thread!

Pics
Hi all!

Mypetchicken.com sent me some chicks last week (I just couldn't wait till spring!), two of which are andalusians. Judging by their light coloration, I thought they were going to end up spashes, however one of them seems to growing very light grey wing feathers. Is it possible for light-colored chicks to end up blue? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Quote:
first
welcome-byc.gif
, are you able to post some pictures? that would help everyone see what you are talking about.

Quote:
first
welcome-byc.gif
, are you able to post some pictures? that would help everyone see what you are talking about.

I 2nd that
welcome-byc.gif

Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:
It has nothing to do with her getting close to laying age. It has to do with the cockerels all being 'cocky' and they got hormones running through them like teenagers do. If they keep doing this to her, I'd seperate her out so she doesn't get damaged. How old is she? I could tell you if she is getting close to laying age.

David

She's roughly 21 weeks old
smile.png
And yeah, I kinda figured. I just can't quite figure why they are all bugging her when two of them have hens they are paired with! Go figure!

thanks for your responses btw​

Ok, here they are! The first is the possible blue, the second is what I'm sure is a splash (she's starting to get black spots on her wing feathers). It's hard to see in the pic, but her wing feathers are a teensy bit darker, she has dark legs whereas her sister has pink ones, and she has a slightly darker complexion overall... but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I was really hoping for a blue!

Also, thanks for the welcome!

67450_p1000204.jpg

67450_p1000207.jpg

p.s. - sorry for the size difference; I'm new
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I looked back to a group of chicks we had early this year and the splash chicks were light and the blue chicks had bluish fuzz -you might have to wait for a bit more feathering to occur but I would guess splash.

my blue chick - the only one in the box! - was a beautiful pewter gray as a fuzzy butt. my splashes were pale yellow with barely visible gray fluff, and when they started to feather they looked like they were going to be just plain white for the longest time!

Hey all. Just wanted to show off my 5 month old Blue Andalusian cockerel. I hatched him from some of Okiehen's eggs. I am very happy with the birds I got from her. He will make a great addition to my breeding program here.

46048_blue_cockerel_7.jpg

Quote:
The color blue does not breed true. The color blue genetics are as follows:

Bue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash

Black X Black = 100% Black
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Splash X Black = 100% Blue

Back
Top Bottom