Blue Andalusian thread!

Pics
Here are a couple of my blue andalusians from Tom Roebuck growing up..

I am very happy with them. Every day I go outside and look at them and think "I can't believe I finally have these birds!". lol
I have two blue cockerels, two splash cockerels, two blue pullets and one black pullet. They are among my most prized birds at the moment.
cool.png

Here are a couple of my blue andalusians from Tom Roebuck growing up..

I am very happy with them. Every day I go outside and look at them and think "I can't believe I finally have these birds!". lol
I have two blue cockerels, two splash cockerels, two blue pullets and one black pullet. They are among my most prized birds at the moment.
cool.png
Very nice looking birds!!! My DD will love seeing the picture!

Does anyone have an up-to-date list of known Blue Andalusian breeders. I emailed Tom Roebuck today and he no longer has chicks. I haven't heard back from Butch Gunderson. If anyone knows of someone else who has a good vintage line could you please let me know?

Does anyone have an up-to-date list of known Blue Andalusian breeders. I emailed Tom Roebuck today and he no longer has chicks. I haven't heard back from Butch Gunderson. If anyone knows of someone else who has a good vintage line could you please let me know?
It may be the wrong time of year. I waited months and months to get eggs from Tom. And had to get eggs shipped a couple times cuz the first batch didn't develop. I even had to have the eggs shipped in a live chick box in the hopes that they would fare better with the post office.
Just saying that if you want really good birds it will take some time and patience.

It may be the wrong time of year. I waited months and months to get eggs from Tom. And had to get eggs shipped a couple times cuz the first batch didn't develop. I even had to have the eggs shipped in a live chick box in the hopes that they would fare better with the post office.
Just saying that if you want really good birds it will take some time and patience.
I didn't ask him about eggs just chicks, so I'll email him again.

This time of year,some breeders may have extra maturing stock for sale,but not too many are hatching now,so eggs and chicks may not be available until next spring. A lot depends on your location and the weather as to your breeding cycle,etc.

Looking for a little advice on Andalusians. I had a broody a few months back and no rooster. So I went to the feed store to buy Ameraucana's but they had Easter Eggers instead. I had a bad experience w/ an EE so I was hesitant. And while I was thinking, I noticed there was a Blue Andalusian in a pen she was BEAUTIFUL and I fell in love. So I brought home 3, two blue and one white and let my broody raise them.

They are 11 weeks old and I fear their true personality is starting to come out. They are WILD!!! I'm used to fat, mellow Buff Orpingtons. The Andalusian's are terrified of me and run and scream when I come into their HUGE run. I'm a little disappointed that they are so flighty, but I could live w/ that. I should point out that I'm in the city and just have a few hens. These three Andalusian's bring my flock total to 7.

Mama has kicked them to the curb a few weeks back and gone back to sleep in the big coop w/ her sisters.

But my hang up now is they are refusing to go sleep in their coop. They have their own coop inside my predator safe run. Instead, they are flying up to the top of a large Camellia tree I have in their run. They are roosting at the very top of the tree which puts them awfully close to the 2x4" welded wire. My concern is that they are totally exposed to the elements and kind of close to where a raccoon could reach in and grab one. I have Nite Eyes all over my run including two on top of the welded wire.

And I guess if they really want to sleep up there, I could live w/ that. I'm sure they will re think their decision when it begins to rain.

But I have some serious reservations as to whether or not they are simply going to be too wild for my little flock. They fly REALLY well. I do let them all out of their big run each afternoon into my garden for about an hour of free range time. I would take next to nothing for one to be over the 8' fence and into the neighbors yard. And that's not going to work.

Just looking for some advice on what you all think. Do these birds mellow out or get more wild as they come into lay? Should I just cut my loses and sell/give them away? Or will they mellow in a few months as they come into lay?

Back
Top Bottom