Blue Australorp breeder (on very small scale) all the way from Western Australia

Yay a fellow Aussie, No I don't have splash because I breed with a black rooster to blue and black hens. I do this as it allows me to get blues of a darker colour with crisper lacing like those above. If you breed blue to blue or blue to splash, the quality of blue suffers. I sell breeding trios and pairs of blue each season though so if someone purchases a trio or pair they can breed splash if they then want to. Also splashes can look dirty very quickly as well. I sell limited numbers of breeding trios and pairs in black and blue. If you know of anyone who would like to purchase a pair or trio of blues or blacks or a mixture of both I can put their name down. Don't have any at the moment but I will in a few months. I also have a utility strain and an exhibition strain. Utility strain are more for egg laying rather than showing and my exhibition strain are also good egg layers but they would be considered breeding stock that conform to the standards. My blues also come from the original line of Blue Australorps in Western Australia. The last black pullet pictured is also from that line. She is a stunner.

They are all pretty stunning, that blue girl is a serious looker. I'd fall head over heels with them if I wasn't bound and determined to find blue and black orpingtons :(

My mother in law does have a little splash pullet that she got from a farm and field day so I think I'll quietly admire her whilst waiting for my orpington train to come in, lol.

Most definitely if I hear anyone wanting australorps I will send them your way. We're practically neighbors :p

It is hard finding orpingtons in Western Australia. A friend has been looking for them but gave up and has ordered some fertile eggs from over east. If you don't mind hatching them yourself I can give you the contact details of a breeder over east. Best quality stock you will find in Australia. Created numerous colours and have successfully one at the nationals numerous times.

That blue girl is my pride and joy. She is of show quality and has the best nature.

Thanks for that, it can be difficult finding homes for pairs and trios. Everyone wants the pullet and not the roo although last year I sold 4 pairs and 1 trio and I could have sold those five groups over again. For a few months they didn't sell and then all of a sudden everyone wanted them. The roos are too good in quality and in personality to dispose of. I don't have the heart to do it. That is why we breed on a small scale.

Well I'm in contact with a lady named Sue from Cuckoo Poultry Stud and she is having a look around to see if anyone will ship me some eggs. Very kind of her. Actually my mother in law is flying to Queensland in July so maybe she could bring some home with her like, "Excuse me, do you have any baggage to claim?" "Why yes, these chicken eggs!"

I totally understand about the roosters. I've decided to make naked necks my breed of choice and the rooster that I've decided to start with is such a sweet boy, he will come up for treats and snack out of your hand and he drops food for his ladies. His girls are the ones that attack me when I'm feeding him. I think they have a bit of Sussex in them and pretty sure they're only 50% naked neck, so they don't have that awesome calm temperament. Love my roo to death, this is him with his girl of the choice who just started laying. I'll be hatching their eggs out as my first hatch ever so super interested to see how they go, she's a splash silkie araucana that I got from an auction, lays the most beautiful sky blue eggs.

Those are such awesome birds though. Do you show them very much or sell their eggs? I bet they would fly off the shelf, really.

Gorgeous boy you have got there.

Sue is the person I was talking about. It is good you are in contact with her. If there are Orpingtons around, she will find them.
I sell there fertile eggs when we have an over supply. Probably only sold about 5 dozen last year. Because we do not pump out stock like some other places we are not really known of. We have never had any complaints with quality of stock that is for sure. We sold a pair to a guy over an hours drive away a couple of years ago. Unfortunately his blue roo got taken by a fox so a few months ago he contacted us wanting to purchase a replacement rooster because he was so impressed on the quality of our birds. Fortunately we had a stunning blue cockerel for him. It is surprising and rewarding when you have return customers. Especially when it is a roo they are wanting. We have had people come and collect pairs and trios from up to 3 hours away.
We do not show because of the fear of disease. Even if all the birds are healthy on the day of the show they can still carry diseases that our birds could catch. The midland show is in a few months and I am still undecided if I should risk it. If I don't show I will still go and have a look at what would have been the competition for my birds lol. Many people do show without catching diseases but it is a risk you take. I will be entering the backyard poultry forum online show though. At least this way I can show my birds while them never leaving my backyard.

On another note, I went to the Perth royal show last year and had a look in the poultry pavilion. I was really disappointed in the quality of Blue Australorps. It made my birds look like gold in comparison. The blacks however were to die for.

Yeah I would have loved to go to the royal show but I'm usually appalled by the entry fees and traffic jams. I've never really thought much about showing myself so I never thought of the disease aspect. One of my friends was super upset with me when I got poultry from the Harvey Auction even though I did leave the birds in quarantine for 2 weeks. I suppose you never know what you could bring home from these things, some people aren't as careful as others.

I always get my silkies from the same lady too, it's nice to have people who carefully chose what birds they like and then take the utmost care in them. Maybe Sue will find some Orpys for me and I can stop walking back and forth in front of the empty incubator whilst clucking my head off :)

Getting late in sleepy little Balingup. Have a good night!

Are you in Australia because I am lol?

Pair before the age of a working rooster and before POL is $35
Trio before the age of a working rooster and before POL is $60

1 dozen fertile blue and black eggs is $25

Just so you know I never have pairs and trios at POL because they are usually sold by then but if I did have them this long, this would be the price.
Pair at age of a working rooster and at POL is $45
Trio at age of a working rooster and at POL is $80

I only have limited numbers for sale each season, but the birds I do sell will be high quality and friendly as they are handled every day. Prices will fluctuate depending on quality and age but genrally these are the prices.

Last edited:
Hello

My name is Matt and I am also a Blue Australorp breeder in the Great Southern Region of WA. I am seeking a new breeding line and your thread caught my eye. I was just wondering what you may have available????

Back
Top Bottom