Blue Australorp breeder (on very small scale) all the way from Western Australia

Antonino,
Greetings from the USA. We have talked before on the BA thread. I just found this thread. I sent you a PM for your email address. I want to pick your brain for next years breeding with my blue and splash project.
Kurt aka RattlesnakeRidgeWV.

Last edited:
I am an australorp lover and currently have several blacks. I have been wanting to breed for the blue but really dont know where to start. Any advice for a newbie?

Hi newburt,
Since you do not have many blue Australorps in America yet, you obviously want to start your own line.
Firstly find a great laced Blue Orpington. it is important that it has very good lacing though. By using a well laced blue rather than a splash will save you a lot of time with better results.
Cross your blue Orpington to black Australorps. Keep the blues and sell the blacks as crossbreeds.
Cross this your first gen back to Black Australorps and once again keep blues and sell blacks as crossbreeds.
Repeat this for another 3 generations and then you have Your base line of Blue Australorps.
Once you have your line of Blues select only the best to breed with according to the SOP (eg dark eyes, black/slate legs, right type)
Hope this was clear, if not I can clarify it for you.
Realistically this project will take an absolute MINIMUM of five to seven years as you are creating a variety within a breed.

welcome-byc.gif

I am looking forward to learning more about your Blue Austrolopes I hope you post more on the tab under Chicken Breeds

Caroline

It is hard finding orpingtons in Western Australia. A friend has been looking for them but gave up and has ordered some fertile eggs from over east. If you don't mind hatching them yourself I can give you the contact details of a breeder over east. Best quality stock you will find in Australia. Created numerous colours and have successfully one at the nationals numerous times.

That blue girl is my pride and joy. She is of show quality and has the best nature.

Thanks for that, it can be difficult finding homes for pairs and trios. Everyone wants the pullet and not the roo although last year I sold 4 pairs and 1 trio and I could have sold those five groups over again. For a few months they didn't sell and then all of a sudden everyone wanted them. The roos are too good in quality and in personality to dispose of. I don't have the heart to do it. That is why we breed on a small scale.

Hello CB and CG, also from Western Australia.
I couldn't find the Orpingtons I wanted in the last few years either so earlier this year, we decided to go with LF Australorps and Barnevelders (apparently we have bantam Australorps in Australia now?). I don't think I fancy the Orpingtons as much anymore LOL I have definately fallen for the two breeds we have here now.... and I figure that I'm not completely unfaithful to Orps, seeing as they were implemented largely in the makings of the Australorp breed
big_smile.png

TheWeaver: There WAS an Orpington breeder in Cuballing or Narrogin about 5 years back I believe, so it may pay to ring the Narrogin Poultry Club and ask about Orpington breeder contact details?

We were blessed with one blue Australorp pullet, but she's nowhere as pretty as yours and her colour is dirty. I didn't originally buy with the intention of improving the breed, or maintaining standards (just a little fluffy cuteness for the kids) but things have changed and I got hooked and am now looking to establish our own line (we have 3 Australorp pullets only atm) to work on/maintain. Of course, this takes finding a breeder who has already done so much work and asking for some eggs to hatch and continue their years' dedications with.... I feel awful even THINKING about asking someone for all that! (but how is one supposed to start, with poor quality birds?)

Where are you located in Perth?
I've been looking for fertile Australorp eggs to replace our old laying X breed flock out with and 3 pullets isn't going to do the job
lau.gif
I've not yet seen any quite as pretty as yours.
My hubby drives up to Perth weekly for work, so I can send him around to pick up when the bator's ready to go again.
(Unless you're the breeder my hubby is supposed to see on Thursday? In which case, I give him permission to buy more because your birds are stunning!)

Looking forward to watching your Australorps evolve and grow and hopefully learning some more about this beautiful breed from you and other people in this forum.
Will head over to the Aussie thread, now that I know there is one.... well, maybe in the morning. It appears my evening coffee has worked and it magically just became midnight. Oops.

Hi, welcome to BYC
jumpy.gif
I am also from Perth & currently looking to add to my flock, I am looking for girls aged between 20-30 weeks.
Do you have any available in this age group? Also what suburb are you located?

TIA, Kirsty

Back
Top Bottom