Blue Australorp Sex Link crosses

WarSmith

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2022
My question is.

If you cross a blue Australorp rooster with a Bard Rock hen, you get a black sex link right?

My question is does Blue Australorp work for "Red" Sex Links?
If you crossed it with a Rhode Island White or a Delaware would that work?

Not according to my understanding.. but I'm excited to see more answers! :pop

If you cross a blue Australorp rooster with a Bard Rock hen, you get a black sex link right?
They will still be 50% black and 50% blue but yes still sex linked by the barring spot or lack there of.

Yes, black or blue sexlink: males with a light dot on their head at hatch and white barring in the feathers as they grow, females without barring.

And the correct spelling for the hen breed is "Barred" Rock (has white barring across the feathers). "Bard" is a different word. I'm guessing it was messed up by an auto-complete or voice-to-text or auto-correct or something of the sort.

No, you cannot make red sexlinks with a rooster that is black or blue all over.

For the "black" sexlink, what really matters is the barring. The black is just a good color to show barring or not-barred.

For the "red" sexlink, it uses the gold and silver genes. You can't see those on a black chicken.

But since Delawares have barring, you can cross the Blue Australorp to them and sex the chicks by whether they have barring or not (same as the chicks from a Barred Rock hen, except that as they grow up they are more likely to show leakage of other colors, as compared with the chicks from the Barred Rock hen.)

Back
Top Bottom