Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

I now have someone very interested in my rooster, I think I will keep the smaller of the two as he was less hostile when holding him? I've had such bad luck with roosters? I had to cull one rooster (Ameraucana) because he was too aggressive, I now have a Cochin Bantam rooster that is under a year that has shown some tendencies of aggression, I am trying to maintain my dominance over him and stand my ground and hold him often. I just hear stories all the time about mild mannered sweet tempered roosters and I just would like to experience that.

My question though if a rooster is free ranged does that change his personality? Like because he has charge over his hens in an open setting he becomes aggressive because he has to? If I didn't free range them would I have a more mild mannered roo?

Can you tell me if he is free ranged or in a run? I am trying to see if environment has anything to do with temperament? I wonder if free range roosters are just aggressive because they have to be?
That is not our experience. Our birds range within a large fenced area and we have no trouble with bad attitudes on cock/erels.

Has anyone noticed worse attitudes on red breeds? We had a heritage RIR cockerel that went for dinner pretty early on. The Rhodebars seem to be standoffish but none have ever looked aggressively at a human. Our BBS copper Marans and Isbars are just the best!

That is not our experience. Our birds range within a large fenced area and we have no trouble with bad attitudes on cock/erels.

Has anyone noticed worse attitudes on red breeds? We had a heritage RIR cockerel that went for dinner pretty early on. The Rhodebars seem to be standoffish but none have ever looked aggressively at a human. Our BBS copper Marans and Isbars are just the best!
I am so hoping that this will be my experience, both my cockerels are being bullied right now by my older hens and they are both very skiddish. I try to grab them when they are in the coop to hold. I have two one bigger than the other and going to rehome the larger one as he pecked me pretty good when I did get a hold of him. That will leave me with one Blue Copper Marans Roo and 1 Black Copper Marans hen!

Based on the combs which one of these guys should I keep? I am re-homing one as I didn't want two. Trying to decide which one to keep? Any suggestions? One is larger than the other, but I've been trying to hold each one to see about personality and they are kinda tied there. I did noticed the smaller one going after (probably trying to mate) my old silkie hen so it appears he is maturing a tad earlier? Any insights as to what I should be looking for would be great!

Cockerel #1

Based on the combs which one of these guys should I keep? I am re-homing one as I didn't want two. Trying to decide which one to keep? Any suggestions? One is larger than the other, but I've been trying to hold each one to see about personality and they are kinda tied there. I did noticed the smaller one going after (probably trying to mate) my old silkie hen so it appears he is maturing a tad earlier? Any insights as to what I should be looking for would be great!

Cockerel #1

Is there a reason you can't keep both for a while (another 6 months)? I'm fairly new to the chicken thing but I've watched a few males grow up and you just don't know what you have until at least 9 months to a year. If you have to choose, take the one with more color as that is difficult with blues. You might not see more copper on the other fella than what he already has...but you just don't and won't know until he grows.

I am limited on space for one thing and thought it might be better to re-home him before he gets too mature? But wonder now if they will stay more mellow because there are two of them? Also worry that I'll have more trouble re-homing an older roo?

Back
Top Bottom