Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Long time no visit so thought I'd stop in and say hi, you guys are talking about my FAV Marans...blues and blue coppers (but lets not forget my other fav, birchens
ya.gif
)

These pics of two blue copper Marans cockerels are about 4-6 months old? I can't quite remember their age now but need to get some new pics of them, these were taken back in Sept. 2012.

Vicki has been a great help in what to look for etc and I have hopes for these guys. Its been too cold to separate the pens out for breeding yet, so probably have to wait another month or so until I can do that.

Please feel free to comment on these two guys.

Last edited:
Some of my other blue copper girls. This first one is a second generation, the others are all firsts. She has a pale face as the photo was from this summer when we had such extreme heat. She is lighter tone for a blue than what I like, but her body type is wonderful.

One of my blue copper boys. The thing I notice on the cockerels is that their tail feathers come in later than others. His eyes have finally lightened up, so I'm pleased with that

This was my favorite cockerel from the first hatch of the year. I had to cull him when he developed a hip joint problem. Looking back on it, I think it came from jumping off the fence and landing strange on his side/one leg. After that, he never was quite right.

Look at how beefly he in this shot. Its a really accurate representation of how wide and built he was. He was about 2 1/2 months in this shot. Now to see if I can create another beefcake like this

Here are some young males...

# 1 The flash washed out his copper, he does not have that blond tone to his hackle.

ok, the last photos of the night, promise! haha I forgot about this lady as well...so I think all together I have 6 or 7 blue copper girls and 2 blue coppers. I've test mated this female and she does not have sprig or carnation genes, her deformed comb is from an injury when she was a chick. I thought I had killed her to be honest, because she was bleeding everywhere. I don't have photos of the youngest male as he is wild as a march hare, but will keep trying.

I had to put a bigger pic of Big Boy up since I'll be using him in the development of more blues this spring!

ok, hopefully I fulfilled the request for blue copper eye candy. They of course need work, but at two generations in and having been developed from black copper and splash, I am well pleased

Here's my blue copper marans pullet! She just started laying this week. The breeder is working on sold blues, so we got the pleasure of bringing her home. Her name is Eloise and she's pretty lovely! This is from when we first brought her home over Christmas and she was awfully muddy. Her comb and wattles have reddened up.

I'm just learning about genetics and body shape, so I'd love a critique, so I can start learning more!

Back
Top Bottom