Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
I got my first 3 Blue Copper chicks hatched out 3/27. I'm breeding 4 hens held back from last year, the best of 7 that I ended up keeping. Got them all in separate pens so I know who's who. I didn't get a decent male last year, so I'm breeding them to a Black Copper. Sure hope I see some improvement in these this year. So many thing to work on! I got set back waiting for the male's comb to clear. I think it was favus, but never knew for sure. Both of my Black Copper males had it. Cleared it up very fast with the formalin/vasoline. 3 treatments was all it took and it hasn't come back. Finally felt like I could put him in with the hens. He's a great guy. I move him every day to a different hen and he breeds them immediately. Not getting any infertile eggs. Don I think you said you move them every 2 or 3 days but I kept loosing track so I just move him every day and it is working out fine. If I can get enough blue chicks from this male before it gets beastly hot here, I'll switch to the other male and hatch some from him, too.

I got my first 3 Blue Copper chicks hatched out 3/27. I'm breeding 4 hens held back from last year, the best of 7 that I ended up keeping. Got them all in separate pens so I know who's who. I didn't get a decent male last year, so I'm breeding them to a Black Copper. Sure hope I see some improvement in these this year. So many thing to work on! I got set back waiting for the male's comb to clear. I think it was favus, but never knew for sure. Both of my Black Copper males had it. Cleared it up very fast with the formalin/vasoline. 3 treatments was all it took and it hasn't come back. Finally felt like I could put him in with the hens. He's a great guy. I move him every day to a different hen and he breeds them immediately. Not getting any infertile eggs. Don I think you said you move them every 2 or 3 days but I kept loosing track so I just move him every day and it is working out fine. If I can get enough blue chicks from this male before it gets beastly hot here, I'll switch to the other male and hatch some from him, too.
Marcy, Yes, you have did the roration just fine. When I do the rotation with six females I move the male middle of each day and this gives me 12 hours with each hen and once every three days and seems to work ok.

Here are the seven Blue Copper chicks that hatched on 3.19. Took this photo today.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Marcy~
I hope you have the best of luck with your Blue Copper breedings and hatchings! Can't wait to see your chickers when they get here. :)

Thanks! They sure are chunkers.
I think I lost the fast/slow feathering somewhere along the way.
sad.png
Unless they are all pullets.
could be all pullets, the only one I question just based on what I can see in the picture would be the one on the far right, but otherwise, it wouldn't surprise me if you end up with all pullets.

Back
Top Bottom