Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
When I read the SOP, I felt that having him critiqued would help me understand it better. So I hope others will comment on my rooster as well. I can take it :)

i am going have to post some pictures of my young bcm and let you guys give me some pointers

Our blue copper hen

Hi all! I'm looking for big gorgeous dark hatching eggs BBS Copper Marans around WA area. I found some last year at an auction but lost everyone to predators. Anyone up my way?? I know i can ship some up, I was just wondering if there were any breeders in the area. :)

What area of Washington are you in?

Later this summer I should have some chicks or started birds. :) I am an hour north of Portland.

Thanks for the info! Since she knows that I'm only breeding for dark egg color and not SOP I'm sure this pullet is a backyard breeder type. If Don (or anyone) happens by that can explain I'd appreciate knowing. I kinda like the colors myself.

Hi Slick!

I'm not Don and not nearly as knowledgeable as he is but let me see if I can help with the leakage on the blue.
Blue is a diluting gene and will allow leakage to happen (its a leaky gene). I believe that sometimes we just see different variations of the dilution happening, just like when we see different shades of blue in the Blue Coppers. Blue Coppers can also show a darker blue feather here and there, I have had several. Splash Coppers show the leakage perfectly, this is why they are splash...a splash of color here and there. 1 copy of the blue gene will make a blue bird.....anything black on a bird becomes blue with one copy. 2 copies of the blue gene dilutes all colors of the bird to the white feathers that we see on a splash, but will allow copper to come through, though it is not solid copper like we see on a Blue Copper or a Black Copper, it will have interuptions of white and blue.

Hope this helps and if I didn't explain it right or good enough hoping that someone who knows more and can explain better will come and give thoughts.

Are the blue copper chicks blue or do they have a little color in there hackle

Blue Coppers should have copper. Sometimes they can show some copper early on after hatch but often it starts to come in from 3-6 weeks or so. Sometimes it can take months to show. Sometimes, they will not show copper at all. If the birds are from copper genetics and they don't show copper, they are still Coppers.

Ok, here is Blaze. Critique away, and thank you again for letting me barge in here.
First let me ask what your goals with the Marans are? Do you plan on breeding for show birds and to the SOP? Or are you simply looking to have birds that give you a lovely dark egg for eating? I am going to assume that this cockerel is less than a year old, correct? If so, he can still change alot, especially in the copper colored areas and filling out more. His tail angle will not change, neither will the length of his back (its a little short). He has what seems to be a good open tail and nice broad shoulders. Maybe if you test mate him to a hen that has a nice long back with a lower tail angle with a good open tail, you might possibly get offspring that are more balanced in those areas. Hope others come by and give their opinions for you.

Back
Top Bottom