Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Okay Mr. Don....we have got an answer!

Yes, a blue can happen from 2 white parents.

Quoting my friend Henk69. I often ask Henk for help when I am stumped and can't quite grasp things genetically, what a great guy and always very helpful in putting big terms in to smaller terms where I can put 1 and 1 together. Thanks again Henk!

"White (both rec. and dom.) can hide blue, so if one parent is heterozygous dom. white then this can happen."

Will get you some info now about crossing the blue to the white. :)

I just found the splash marans few week and I got a few chicks yesterday from a breeder. I bought them st.run so I am exited to see what sex they are.

3 splash, 3 blue and one blue ameraucana.

OK I just can't help myself... Here is a pic of my up and coming new Blue Boy... he has no name yet (they usually eventually earn themselves a good unique name). Only one boy hatched and i thought jeez he better be a good one.. I think he might be LOL!!!! If all goes well he will be the new daddy to all my blues...

I am really surprised i got a good pic it was so dark black with rain clouds and stuff...i thought
i would never get a pic.

he's exactly 3 months this week..

PS: he doesn't have a black eye, it's just the pic..

My Blue Splash and Black Babies
celebrate.gif

Im new to Marans as well

Here is what someone posted before

The blue gene is a diluting gene and 1 copy of the gene effects black, diluting it to blue. Your pullet only has 1 copy of the blue gene making her the "blue" that we see. If she did not have the blue gene, she would be a Black Copper.

Splash birds are BLUE birds that have 2 copies of the blue gene. When the 2 copies of the blue gene present it dilutes the blue to a white-ish color feather and allows leakage of other random lighter and darker blue feathers randomly throughout the birds plumage, it also allows the copper to show, but the copper is usually random and broken and not a complete pattern like you will see on the Blue Copper and the Black Copper. Also, it is said that the blue gene and it's diluting effects can lighten the copper coloring a bit from time to time, but I don't normally see this in my birds.

To create a Splash bird you will need 2 Blue birds or a Splash bird and a Blue bird. Westkyracers recent post with the 2 cockerels in it.....the first photo and the last photo are a splash male.

Blue does not breed true. In other words, when 2 blue birds are bred together they will create all 3 colors....black, blue and splash. If you breed your blue gal to one of your black roosters you will get blue and black offspring. Keep the best blue male from that cross and breed him back to his blue mother and this will produce black, blue and splash chicks.

Below is the expected color ratio of offspring from blue matings......I should say that this ratio is based on the number of eggs set at a time and I believe that I remember that number being around 20 eggs or more.
Blue x Blue = 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash

Blue x Splash = 50% splash and 50% blue

Blue x Black = 50% blue and 50% black

Black x Splash = 100% blue

Splash x Splash = 100% splash

Black x Black = 100% black

I had a chick die and don't understand why?
hit.gif
They all seem healthy and very active. It was 3 or 5 days old, Iv'e had them die at hatch but never at this age
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom