Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
I'm expecting some splashes in my ongoing hatch... Can't wait!!! :)

wednesday is hatch day!!

Hope you have a great hatch! :fl

I also have a few eggs under a broody that should be hatching very soon, they will be blues and splash. I gave in and tossed 8 eggs under my old faithful 4 year- old always broody hen. I wasn't going to let anyone hatch any chicks this summer because I am very busy with school and I just didn't want any more chicks or birds, but I felt sooooo bad for her sitting tight on nothing, she is always so determined to be a momma, I caved. I'm such a pushover. :p

Hope you have a great hatch!
fl.gif

I also have a few eggs under a broody that should be hatching very soon, they will be blues and splash. I gave in and tossed 8 eggs under my old faithful 4 year- old always broody hen. I wasn't going to let anyone hatch any chicks this summer because I am very busy with school and I just didn't want any more chicks or birds, but I felt sooooo bad for her sitting tight on nothing, she is always so determined to be a momma, I caved. I'm such a pushover.
tongue.png
Yep, good luck on Wednesday, gotta love new Fuzzes :)

Im sure this is posted somewhere and have been looking so I hope you all don't mind that I asked, Do you all notice a difference in egg color between the (Copper)Blue, Black and Splash? or if they are copper Marans in general they are the same as far as egg color?

Thanks, Randy

Thanks for the good wishes guys... and good luck with your broody Pink!!!
fl.gif

The dad is my little blue!! at 4.5 months I though the eggs were not fertile, i mean he is only a baby.. but there seem to be little guys moving around in there when I candle so it looks like we are going to get some babies :)...

jumpy.gif

Did not realize this thread was here...will have to read from the start but have some questions I posted on the Marans thread.

I had to cull my Marans flock a couple months ago. I am wanting to restart and have ordered some BCM eggs to incubate. HOWEVER I am contemplating Splash Marans also. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some breeders (you can PM me) as I would like from different sources. I am NPIP and that's proving problematic. From what I have researched the best examples do not have the gold in the hackle. How difficult or problematic is this to breed out or find a flocks without it or is it really as big of an issue as I read? If I were to mix my flock that's what I would be getting if I had a Black Copper roo over the Splash girls, correct? But what if I did a Splash roo over Black Copper and Splash girls then I could maintain a splash flock still have some darker BCM eggs with Blue and splash offspring but I'd have to buy hatching eggs each spring to maintain the black girls. Does this sound like a good idea? Thanks.

Hope you have a great hatch!
fl.gif

I also have a few eggs under a broody that should be hatching very soon, they will be blues and splash. I gave in and tossed 8 eggs under my old faithful 4 year- old always broody hen. I wasn't going to let anyone hatch any chicks this summer because I am very busy with school and I just didn't want any more chicks or birds, but I felt sooooo bad for her sitting tight on nothing, she is always so determined to be a momma, I caved. I'm such a pushover.
tongue.png

Hatch is going well!!! but everyone is blue.. blue and more blue LOL!! two pipped eggs are left in there that could be a splash.. I had my little baby blue roo over four black coppers and three blue coppers.. I have another batch next week but the odds are less because I swapped out my roo for a black copper in the middle somewhere... well if i don't get a splash it's always an excuse to hatch more eggs LOL!!

In the meantime my wheatens are not doing well... all clears!! i'm not sure if it's the roo or if the older hens are just better at evading an inexperienced roo
hu.gif
!!

Last edited:
Did not realize this thread was here...will have to read from the start but have some questions I posted on the Marans thread.

I had to cull my Marans flock a couple months ago. I am wanting to restart and have ordered some BCM eggs to incubate. HOWEVER I am contemplating Splash Marans also. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some breeders (you can PM me) as I would like from different sources. I am NPIP and that's proving problematic. From what I have researched the best examples do not have the gold in the hackle. How difficult or problematic is this to breed out or find a flocks without it or is it really as big of an issue as I read? If I were to mix my flock that's what I would be getting if I had a Black Copper roo over the Splash girls, correct? But what if I did a Splash roo over Black Copper and Splash girls then I could maintain a splash flock still have some darker BCM eggs with Blue and splash offspring but I'd have to buy hatching eggs each spring to maintain the black girls. Does this sound like a good idea? Thanks.

There is a difference between Splash and Copper Splash,,, don't get the 2 confused !

Black Copper Roo over Copper Splash hens will not give you more splash. You'll get Blue.

Splash to Splash gives all splash.

Check back through the thread and recheck the mixes and percentages !

Pink may repost it for you, she seems to have it handy alot of times.

This should give you an idea of what you will get in breeding Blues, Blacks, & Splashes. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/basic-chicken-color-genetics

Dan

I read the thread, good information in here, and decided to get some Splash eggs and some Black Copper eggs. I understand the BBS genetics, I've had BBS Ameraucanas and have had a flock of BCMs. So if I keep a Splash rooster over a mix of those hens I'll get Splash and Blue but no Black. I don't want to keep blues, only splash from those matings. I would love to keep a Splash Flock and a Black Copper Flock but my plan is to do a Splash rooster until I find a suitable Black Copper boy and then I'll split the flock into the two color strains. I love the Blacks but had a Splash rooster last year that I kept for my youngest son and he was real goof and I adored him until he got attacked so... hopefully I'll end up with another 'Favorite Guy' again.
I just was curious about the hackle color of the splash and if it was supposed to show some gold in there or if that was a bad thing or if it would only show with Splash Blue Coppers and not Splash Blue? The eggs came today in 2 shipments and the color on the Splash is better than I expected. Hoping for a good hatch and some cute chicks.

ETA I know there is no standard for Splash but was curious if there things I should cull for particular to this color strain and the copper no copper difference.

Last edited:
I read the thread, good information in here, and decided to get some Splash eggs and some Black Copper eggs. I understand the BBS genetics, I've had BBS Ameraucanas and have had a flock of BCMs. So if I keep a Splash rooster over a mix of those hens I'll get Splash and Blue but no Black. I don't want to keep blues, only splash from those matings. I would love to keep a Splash Flock and a Black Copper Flock but my plan is to do a Splash rooster until I find a suitable Black Copper boy and then I'll split the flock into the two color strains. I love the Blacks but had a Splash rooster last year that I kept for my youngest son and he was real goof and I adored him until he got attacked so... hopefully I'll end up with another 'Favorite Guy' again. 
I just was curious about the hackle color of the splash and if it was supposed to show some gold in there or if that was a bad thing or if it would only show with Splash Blue Coppers and not Splash Blue? The eggs came today in 2 shipments and the color on the Splash is better than I expected. Hoping for a good hatch and some cute chicks. 

ETA I know there is no standard for Splash but was curious if there things I should cull for particular to this color strain and the copper no copper difference. 

splash coppers should have copper in the same placed a black copper has copper. I have never seen one with much copper but both of the splash roos I have had had copper where they should. I can't post pictures sorry. you could find him/them from my profile page if you look.

Back
Top Bottom