Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Been searching through this thread and the other thread (Maran standard) trying to learn if my boy meets the standard....but I'm pretty dense and cannot even figure out if his comb really has five points, or does he have too many? Going to check out his toes,etc. later...didn't know what to look for! Also embarassed to ask whether he is Blue Copper or Splash? I was thinking blue...but?
Wondered if those of you who have experience with breeding to the standard would share your thoughts on him (he's beautiful to me no matter what:)--he's just over 5 months old so I don't think he's done filling in, but you might be able to get an idea. I only had pics of his right side...again, wasn't sure what I was looking for!
Thanks for your input!

And below is him in early August...apparently he prefers to be photographed on his right side?

Been searching through this thread and the other thread (Maran standard) trying to learn if my boy meets the standard....but I'm pretty dense and cannot even figure out if his comb really has five points, or does he have too many? Going to check out his toes,etc. later...didn't know what to look for! Also embarassed to ask whether he is Blue Copper or Splash? I was thinking blue...but? Wondered if those of you who have experience with breeding to the standard would share your thoughts on him (he's beautiful to me no matter what:)--he's just over 5 months old so I don't think he's done filling in, but you might be able to get an idea. I only had pics of his right side...again, wasn't sure what I was looking for! Thanks for your input! And below is him in early August...apparently he prefers to be photographed on his right side?
He has 4 points on his comb...the little points on the blade are not counted. Before we discuss his color...is it possible to get some more photos of him that show his body color a bit better and maybe closer up?

Absolutely--I will see what I can do with additional pics. He seems to prefer I photograph his better side I guess:)
And bummer--five points is what is on the standard, right? I'll get some more pics tonight...thanks for the input 'dutchbunny' and 'pinkchick!'

OK PinkChick...here goes---weather was lovely so I followed 'Big Sexy' (dd named him...) and tried to get some shots, not sure exactly what views you wanted--let me know if there's a differentview than these:

Thanks!

the blue coloring is much more clear in the new pics
he's a really pretty bird, "breeder stock" or not (not saying he isn't, I don't know anything about that)
Thanks! And yes, he is definitely blue...funny thing is, I'd described him as Blue Splash in my sig. line about 2 months ago...just a lot of the blue splashes I've seen had a much bigger white to splash dot ratio than he does--he's got various shadings of blue, mostly solid patches, but there are some 'dots' on his lighter areas...

And I agree with you...he is pretty! And he's been a good boy, taking good care of his girls...well, sometimes a little "too" good at times, but they put him in his place. No signs of aggression towards us at all. My dd is planning on showing him at the county fair///no clue how he'll stack up, but should be fun.

the blue coloring is much more clear in the new pics
he's a really pretty bird, "breeder stock" or not (not saying he isn't, I don't know anything about that)

Thanks!  And yes, he is definitely blue...funny thing is, I'd described him as Blue Splash in my sig. line about 2 months ago...just a lot of the blue splashes I've seen had a much bigger white to splash dot ratio than he does--he's got various shadings of blue, mostly solid patches, but there are some 'dots' on his lighter areas...

And I agree with you...he is pretty!  And he's been a good boy, taking good care of his girls...well, sometimes a little "too" good at times, but they put him in his place.  No signs of aggression towards us at all.  My dd is planning on showing him at the county fair///no clue how he'll stack up, but should be fun.

going to vote blue... a very light blue. blue can have flecks of darker blue. as pink has said it is a leaky gene.

One blue marans hatched last night still waiting on the rest....

He's been running around in there like a crazy bird, knocking all my other eggs together, spinning them around!
I hope he's not doing damage to the other chicks all positioned to come out.
Sometimes they can end up getting stuck or drowning that way.

When do I open the bator and take him out? My official 21 day mark is this evening, but a lot haven't done much of anything yet towards coming out.
3 others have pips, but they haven't gotten any bigger in the last 12 hours...

Absolutely--I will see what I can do with additional pics.  He seems to prefer I photograph his better side I guess:)
And bummer--five points is what is on the standard, right?  I'll get some more pics tonight...thanks for the input 'dutchbunny' and 'pinkchick!'

Yes, 5 points is what the standard asks for........BUT, 4 points is good, and IMHO, nothing that should be worried about at this time. You can worry about combs later. Improving the number of points or decreasing the number of points is relatively easy and something that a person can work on after the "barn is built." The only time I worry about combs is when I see a twist, sprig or the dreaded carnation comb.

Thanks for the new photos of him......I love how chunky he appears from the full front view.

Now to talk about his color.......I wish Vicki or Don would stop by and comment on him as well, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that my money says he is a Splash Copper. What makes me think this is the washed out look of his coloring overall and the silver-ish bottoms of his hackles and how his tail sickles are colored. I am going to dig around to see if I can find a photo of one of my old Splash males that makes me think of your boy.

Donna~ When I first saw him, I too was going to say that he was a very washed out Blue Copper that came from too many breedings of blue to splash, but then I saw his hackles and his tail coloring.

Back
Top Bottom