Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Give me your opioun on my 7 month old rooster. I'm learning so hit me hard please.

Post for all doing the Blue Copper-Black Copper-Splash matings. This is mostly for the new BYC members and anyone else interested. The Genetic formula will tell your what color you will get breeding these together but can not tell you what quality you will get color wise. Breed the Blue Copper and splash from these matings anyway you would like but do not breed the Black Copper offspring back into your Black Copper you are breeding to the APA SOP as they will contaminated your line of Black Copper. The black copper from these cross matings will not have the required nice black feathered lower half of the bird that is required. All that is needed is look at the pictures of the of the black copper from the matings. These three colors should not be refered to as B-B-S as that is for Black, Blue and splash and there is a difference.

Kim, as you know we are all to impatient with the fowl. I do not cull for Dark Eye until I am ready to put the fowl together for the breeding season. I have to say I have used the Dark Eye fowl in breeding and single mated and have not found it to be a problem in the breeding aspect. I have some young pullets that are 6 months and are just now getting the correct color.
We all know that it doesn't take an SOP bird to raise SOP showable off spring. The only time I would worry about the eye color is if I was getting ready to pick showable fowl.

I gotta agree with Don on the eye color. It is one of the easier traits to correct in my opinion. I don't cull for eye color until I have decided on the bird itself and have found on quite a number of occasions that they eye color has lightened in the 6 to 8 month range. I'll need to get some photos up of some of this year's birds when I get a chance. Took a long break from BYC.

Here's a couple shots of some blue copper girls from the oldest group hatched this year. Not perfect, but am pleased with the body type, heft and coppering.

I'm liking this cockerel from the middle group. Will look forward to seeing his tail grow back after taking out the feather pickers, but overall am pleased with how he looks.

Post for all doing the Blue Copper-Black Copper-Splash matings. This is mostly for the new BYC members and anyone else interested. The Genetic formula will tell your what color you will get breeding these together but can not tell you what quality you will get color wise. Breed the Blue Copper and splash from these matings anyway you would like but do not breed the Black Copper offspring back into your Black Copper you are breeding to the APA SOP as they will contaminated your line of Black Copper. The black copper from these cross matings will not have the required nice black feathered lower half of the bird that is required. All that is needed is look at the pictures of the of the black copper from the matings. These three colors should not be refered to as B-B-S as that is for Black, Blue and splash and there is a difference.
I have heard this advice several times on the Marans threads and wondered why so now I know. I was going to try to do 2 pens if I decided to breed the Splash and the Black Coppers but if I can only do one then it'll have to be Black priority in the long run. Thanks.

Hi! We just got a Blue Copper Marans rooster from a fellow farmer. I'd like your opinion of him. We don't show, but I'd like to be able to tell people something about him when they buy chicks from us. We have him in a pen with a BCM hen and two Easter Eggers.

Shucks, Gilavina and Runawaylobster, after looking at your blue coppers, I am ready to cull all mine. Is their color really that blue? Because mine look more gray than blue. Honestly, I was ready to give up on this breed entirely but then I looked over my pullets from this year and thought I was making some progress over last year, but I still am not liking my cockerels and every one of them has white under fluff.

Back
Top Bottom