Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Hey guys I had some questions on sexing Marans chicks.
In general, I always use tail feathers to determine. Though my last hatch I only had 2 and I thought they were both cockerals because they never really had a tail. They are 3 months old now and still barely have a tail, but they are pullets.

This time I hatched 6 and they are a week old. 3 have tails, 2 have none, and 1 is just starting to get it. So from that I would guess it's half boys, half girls.
Are there any other ways to tell?
The combs and feet all look pretty much the same at this point.
Does coloring have anything to do with it? I've noticed some are already having copper?

Anyway, here are a couple pics, I was wondering if you agreed with my guess or had suggestions for better ways to guess. Thanks for your time!

Hey guys I had some questions on sexing Marans chicks.
In general, I always use tail feathers to determine. Though my last hatch I only had 2 and I thought they were both cockerals because they never really had a tail. They are 3 months old now and still barely have a tail, but they are pullets.

This time I hatched 6 and they are a week old. 3 have tails, 2 have none, and 1 is just starting to get it. So from that I would guess it's half boys, half girls.
Are there any other ways to tell?
The combs and feet all look pretty much the same at this point.
Does coloring have anything to do with it? I've noticed some are already having copper?

Anyway, here are a couple pics, I was wondering if you agreed with my guess or had suggestions for better ways to guess. Thanks for your time!

I have never sexed based on tails. Combs are my indicator so without a pic of the combs I can't help. The one in the middle is pretty mossy.

I was curious about that terminology too

So far tail feathers have been the most accurate for me, but it's never a guarantee.
Does when the coppering come in effect gender or just genetics?

The 3 chicks I hatched from the eggs I got from Donna (DMRippy) Tell me what do you think I have? They are now 4 weeks old.

Dan

1st Chick

2nd Chick

3rd chick

Dan, I don't happen along often, but I'll take my stab. #1 pullet, #2 and 3 cockerels. Mind you, I suck at sexing until later on.
big_smile.png

Pretty sure you have 3 cockrels sorry

I have Marans that are 8 weeks old and one that is 16 weeks old. I'm going by the tail too. Here's my guess, #1 cockerel, #2 & #3 pullets. #3 might be a cockerel only if the comb is pinker than what is showing in the pic. Hope you get what you're wishing for!
smile.png
Theresa/Sunnydale Farm

Mommachick1, Theresa you were exactly right. They are 16 weeks old now and it is obvious #1 is a cockerel and #2 & #3 are pullets. Glad everyone else was wrong. Thought everyone might be interested in the way they turned out.

Dan

Quote:

I was curious about that terminology too

So far tail feathers have been the most accurate for me, but it's never a guarantee.
Does when the coppering come in effect gender or just genetics?

The middle chick has copper all over and that is called mossy. She could molt it out, but most breeders will not use her. USUALLY that is a pullet but could show on a cockerel too. My first marans pullets were mossy, molted it out and i don't see mossy chicks often. I am a few generations away from my originals. I only have one hen left now.

Mommachick1, Theresa you were exactly right. They are 16 weeks old now and it is obvious #1 is a cockerel and #2 & #3 are pullets. Glad everyone else was wrong. Thought everyone might be interested in the way they turned out.

Dan

Thanks for letting us know the results Dan, so often you wonder if you were right or not. This is my first year with Marans, but I have noticed that with this breed they get that 45 degree angle going on in their tails right away if they're a cockerel when at a young age, and later with the fleshier comb when they start getting a little bit older. Congrats on your results! Theresa/Sunnydale Farm
jumpy.gif

Hey guys I had some questions on sexing Marans chicks. In general, I always use tail feathers to determine. Though my last hatch I only had 2 and I thought they were both cockerals because they never really had a tail. They are 3 months old now and still barely have a tail, but they are pullets. This time I hatched 6 and they are a week old. 3 have tails, 2 have none, and 1 is just starting to get it. So from that I would guess it's half boys, half girls. Are there any other ways to tell? The combs and feet all look pretty much the same at this point. Does coloring have anything to do with it? I've noticed some are already having copper? Anyway, here are a couple pics, I was wondering if you agreed with my guess or had suggestions for better ways to guess. Thanks for your time!
I am going to take a stab at it and say that you have 4 males and the 2 females. The 2 females are both the ones in the middle of the photos. I am basing my guess on wings and tail growth by this age, but as Donna stated early we should really have a photo of them that includes the heads and combs. :)

Don~ Thank you very much for explaining the copper. Unfortunately, I do not have any Black Copper females to use, only have the one Black Copper male that is from Blue to Blue matings, he is the father of the 3 birds that I posted the other day. I do not want to use him anymore at this point and just keep him on back up if needed for breeding to my splash girls. I am hoping that when the girls start laying that I can single test them to their grand-father my Blue Copper, Lil Bill.
The young Blue Copper male, I am going to mate him back to his mother and after single test mating the 2 pullets from Texas to Lil Bill, I would like to test the young male to these same 2 girls. All contingent on everyone starting to lay or get back to laying. This has been the worst year EVER I have had with egg production.....it's like they plum forgot how and no eggs it's getting pretty old.

But thank you again and I will be sure to let you know how the single matings turn out for sure. :)

Back
Top Bottom