Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Runaway~ If I had eggs I would happily share them, but alas, I have not seen an egg in a very long time and now of course they are molting.
hmm.png
This has been the worst year I have experienced with my Marans and their laying, have no clue as to why. Hoping they snap out of it.

Also as Donna has stated, I made some very large changes to my flock and have been (egg availability permitting) pairing up and single mating birds to see how the changes have affected what my birds produce. With the void of eggs this year it has been very slow going. I like Donna, also wish that I still had some of my original birds to monkey around with, but in my inexperience, I made some hasty culling decisions and have kicked myself since. However, I took away more from my mistakes by learning from them vs. the loss of the birds that were culled. I now take more time to evaluate what I have and how I am going to reach my next goal through lots of thought and planning......then the wait and see game starts.
smile.png
i am having same trouble with my Wheatens,, they lay for a few days and then stop and then start again and then stop.. its very weird.

but back to the blues... I have one new boy chick who has good leg feathering and is nice and big and burly so i plan to keep him. I love Blue, he is just one awesome rooster but his leg feathering is a bit on the weak side. Still given that the perfect bird is a myth Blue is going to be my main breeding roo for the moment until someone perfect comes along. I will cross him with all my leg feathered girls....

I plan to heavily research this business of E based birds that look correct for black coppers, I think this may be the basis for the loss of copper somewhere along the line the E crept in instead of the ER.. (my genetics knowledge sucks but i am always optimistic that i can learn more as i go along :)..... ) I have one baby boy who looks really really dark blue, and of course has no leg feathers, but today i noticed he is showing just a hint of copper, but honestly he is kinda girly, i had a hard time deciding he was a roo for many weeks LOL!!!!

Last edited:
Today is day 21 hatch day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 36 eggs!!!!!! ready to hatch i will keep y'all posted. This morning I had 2 Blue Marans Hatched already and 1 peep. I have BCM in there along with Cuckoo Marans. Crossing my fingers on a good out come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a question and was hoping someone could help me. I have a cuckoo maran rooster who is a real beauty in my eyes. I just purchased some maran eggs, some were splashed, some copper, and some blue copper. She couldnt tell me which was what. I am wondering what I would get if I mated my cuckoo maran with any one of these marans and is the mix even desirable? I am wanting to slowly start a breeding business but could really use some advice. (No big words please, I am so new to this!) the picture is of my roo
1378523_10201580425424627_869820397_n.jpg

I havent read through this thread yet but I plan to. I ony have 1 blue Copper at the moment and she is in with my black coppers. She is 1 year old and lays a nice somewhat dark egg. Im concidering switching out my Marans stock next spring for a line closer to the SOP and of better breeding quality right now my black coppes seem to be pet quality with nice egg color. I will post a few pics of her when I get on my other computer.

Back
Top Bottom