Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
I've never seen a splash Marans chick. Do they take a while to color up?? I have (I think) one that is 4 weeks old and is just plain white. I had a splash white-crested Polish pullet this summer that took several weeks to get "splashy." She was just a white feathered chick and then a few gray speckles led to more and more. Some folks over on the BCM thread thought this Marans might be a wheaten outcrop chick from this photo, but I think my partner got the eggs mixed up in his coat pocket and it's really from the blue copper breeding pen.

I have some splash Isbars of the same age, and they are wildly splashed with gray. That's why I'm seeking information about the Marans and how fast they might look like a splash. Thanks in advance!

I've never seen a splash Marans chick. Do they take a while to color up?? I have (I think) one that is 4 weeks old and is just plain white. I had a splash white-crested Polish pullet this summer that took several weeks to get "splashy." She was just a white feathered chick and then a few gray speckles led to more and more. Some folks over on the BCM thread thought this Marans might be a wheaten outcrop chick from this photo, but I think my partner got the eggs mixed up in his coat pocket and it's really from the blue copper breeding pen.

I have some splash Isbars of the same age, and they are wildly splashed with gray. That's why I'm seeking information about the Marans and how fast they might look like a splash. Thanks in advance!
I still think it is a wheaten chick. Splash are more white and blue than yellow.

These chicks are wheaten Ams.

Wheatens will feather in like this.

This is a splash.....

Here it is as a chicks..... see the little bit of blue on the wings? I know it is hard to see but still there..... these were taken under Fluorescent lights so it is more yellow than it should be.

Sorry this pics are so bad.... I don't hatch many splash as I don't breed for it. They are on a PINK shirt just so you know how the color is off.

I still think it is a wheaten chick. Splash are more white and blue than yellow.

This is a splash.....

Here it is as a chicks..... see the little bit of blue on the wings? I know it is hard to see but still there..... these were taken under Fluorescent lights so it is more yellow than it should be.

Sorry this pics are so bad.... I don't hatch many splash as I don't breed for it. They are on a PINK shirt just so you know how the color is off.

Very helpful Donna, thank you. This chick of mine is 4+ weeks old and feathering in WHITE, just like that splash WC blue Polish did. As I recall it was 6-7 weeks before I started seeing bits of gray that grew in. It was a very slow "splashing" process week by week and took months in the case of the Polish. Definitely not seeing anything like your photos, either splash or wheaten. As my man says, "You're just going to have to wait."
pop.gif

This is a splash.....

Here are photos of this chick as day-old, and new ones today at 4.5 weeks. It's pure snow white (except that little bit of BluKote on the shoulder there). Now what?

Hi all, I'd appreciate some feedback on these two splash roos. Specifically is the reddish-brown on the wings bad, good or it depends?

The roo below is 6-8 months, has no reddish-brown on wings, but does have a very occasional copper feather throughout his neck wing tail area.

The roo below is two years and has reddish-brown on wings and copper feathers occasionally throughout the neck, saddle, tail area.

Thank you for you input. BTW- These two roos are same parentage, different results. And I apologize for my misuse of chicken anatomy terms.

Last edited:
I have a similar issue as above regarding 2 splash roosters from the same hatch. One is darker, bigger but with less feathered legs while the other has less splash overall and is smaller but with much better feathered shanks.

smaller boy with less splash pattern

look at those shanks but there are feathers on the middle toe

both together

Bigger and darker boy with more splash patterning

egads! where are all those feathers?

My 3 boys. I'd love to keep all three but cannot happen.

I was told there is an accepted standard for splash game fowl (I believe it was game fowl) but cannot seem to locate. If anyone can direct me to it that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom