Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
look at those shanks but there are feathers on the middle toe

Feathering on the toe itself (can't see that?) or feathering on the web between outside and middle toe? I have had this question about my other Marans. Is the DQ only if the feathers are actually ON the middle toe itself, or if there is fuzz in the "crotch" of outer/middle toes? Perhaps a judge will chime in...

Hummmmm..... Not sure what I would do. I like the looks overall of the smaller cockerel. But I like the size of the other one. I would not worry about color on a splash. If you keep breeding splash to splash the color will get really washed out. If you breed them to Blues or Blacks that will keep you color in the splash better.

Could you put the little roo in a cage by himself? He might really bloom into a nice roo. He is in the pen with all those other roos and might not be showing you his full potential in that pen.

If not you would just need to pair them up with the right hens. Unless you are showing the roos I would not worry too much about the middle toe feathers. If you pair him with hens with sparse feathering. And the converse is true for the other one. Pair him with hens with really heavy feathered legs.

You need to pair them up to counter as many of their flaws as you can.

Hi all, I'd appreciate some feedback on these two splash roos. Specifically is the reddish-brown on the wings bad, good or it depends?

The roo below is 6-8 months, has no reddish-brown on wings, but does have a very occasional copper feather throughout his neck wing tail area.

The roo below is two years and has reddish-brown on wings and copper feathers occasionally throughout the neck, saddle, tail area.

Thank you for you input. BTW- These two roos are same parentage, different results. And I apologize for my misuse of chicken anatomy terms.

I am also curious about eye color of blues and splashes...Our Blue Copper and Splash hens have darker eye color than the roosters and our Black Copper hens. Bad? or Normal?

Would love some feedback on my Blue Copper Marans

The blue seems to be way too light a blue color. My rooster is a dark blue. Maybe because he's young he doesn't have that much copper all over him, he only has it in his neck doen to his shoulders.

Last edited:
Would love some feedback on my Blue Copper Marans

I'm no expert but he looks like a solid block, which is good. He appears to be wide from front to back, though there isn't a top photo here. His tail angle is high. Nice toe/shank feathering. Quite a lot of leakage of copper onto the breast. Nicely uphill but I believe he could be moreso. I have noticed with the blues that the hackle/saddle coloring is almost always lighter than the copper on the shoulders...I don't know if that is the dilution related to the blue, or if they can/should be bred to be more uniform. This is an issue with BCM as well, but I've seen more BCM cock/erels with uniform color. I like this guy quite a lot and would breed him to clear-breasted females with low tail angles. I'm a newbie with a good eye for livestock in general, and also welcome constructive comments on my thoughts. I'm learning too!

Thanks! I have 5 BCM hens, all clear breasted that I will be breeding him with this spring, I will look at tail angle :) Can't wait to see babies from this guy! He is about 5 months in this picture.

Back
Top Bottom