Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Wow That is shocking. Mines stays in that range in the summer and I dont see a huge lose of chicks. Have you calibrated your hygrometer?
I find wet bulb method more accurate. Plus the hygrometer hadn't arrived on that hatch. I have it now but it's completely useless at lower end of spectrum. Works fine during hatching when we crank up the humidity though.

Wow That is shocking.  Mines stays in that range in the summer and I dont see a huge lose of chicks.  Have you calibrated your hygrometer?
What is the best hygrometer and thermometer to use for the bators? I have a dickey incubator for incudating and i going to start hatching in my little giant.

I am new to the blue copper marans. Just bought 7blue and black copper maran chicks Sat. and boutght 18 hatchings eggs yesterday, which I am going to set today! So excited for my new birds. And can't wait for the chicks to come out and wave LOL!

Last edited:
I am new to the blue copper marans. Just bought 7blue and black copper maran chicks Sat. and boutght 18 hatchings eggs yesterday, which I am going to set today! So excited for my new birds. And can't wait for the chicks to come out and wave LOL!
Welcome to the thread jphendrix!! I have been raising these birds for a year now so it is fun bun the hatching can have its ups and downs. There is a guy in Waycross that sales Marans, my buddy went and bought 6 last weekend from him. I live in Eastman Ga.

Welcome to the thread jphendrix!! I have been raising these birds for a year now so it is fun bun the hatching can have its ups and downs. There is a guy in Waycross that sales Marans, my buddy went and bought 6 last weekend from him. I live in Eastman Ga.
Thanks! I am so excited to get started with them. I think they are so pretty.
It's probably the same guy that supplies the feed store where I bought mine, and where I bought my eggs. He is really nice and invited us to come out and look around when hubby could go.

Been reading up and lurking. Given what I've read and deciphered -
Decided to keep the whiter of the Splash males and the Black Copper boy. I am going to put the Splash male over my pullets to create some more splash and blues by using my 2 splash girls and a couple of the BC pullets I have and my BC boy over the other BC pullets and later a Splash to create some blues to add to the splash pen and then cull for just the best.
I have to work with what I have as I cannot bring in anymore birds this year than those I have already arranged for - promised the husband - so I'm going to investigate keeping a Blue and Splash pen with a couple nice black girls as opposed to both black and splash in the long term.
I am contemplating building one more pen to make it possible to keep the BC and breed them separately as Don advises but not sure I want to do all that work in the winter with multiple pens. I LOVED only having two pens this winter. If I can cull down to less birds next winter I'd be even more pleased. This winter I kept 11 boys and 36 girls. I'd like to be able to cull down to just 2 Marans roos and 6-8 Marans females max this winter and to just the best to overwinter. I love the Black Coppers but Marans in general so maybe keeping Splash and Blue might be the best way. Would it make sense to keep a Black and Splash rooster as I'd like to? Or should I be on the look out for a nice Blue Copper? Will take some new photos to post

Wasn't sure how to be able to follow here without posting. I don't have much to provide in the way of intelligent input on the subject. I did manage to hatch a blue copper pair back in Nov from my blue hen with BCM roo. The pullet has wonderful copper hackles. The boy a beaut too but he has a lot of copper. Not sure about him yet. I have been reading the posts about hatching because I've deff had not so good success with them. It's been very frustrating to say the least. Girls are laying great at the moment. Plans are to have another go at the end of the month. Debating to snatch up some of runaways eggs out on the BST but I am sooo not confident in my ability to have success! I hate pitching mine when they don't hatch! I only have 1 Blue hen, 7 BCM hens with a BCM roo and a few youngsters from them. I also have a pair of Cuckoo and one Golden Cuckoo. Looking forward to more blue adding the copper and obtaining some splash as they too are quite stunning.

I have been babysitting a splash roo for a friend but he is all grown up now and i don't think she really wants him back.. So i have many options for Blue Roos already, I am wondering if you guys can help me with thinking of a good reason not to sell him. maybe there are some uses he can have that i have not thought of

He still needs more growing to see about type but he is quite big....

I always have a hard time selling them no matter what!!!

Thanks Donna :)

OK so the roo gets to stay LOL!!! I do not know his background but he has a little copper leakage in his hackle, plus I also have a blue pullet from the same unknown source that is mostly blue but does show a little copper in her hackle too. So should i expect to get proper copper in the offspring or will it be more washed out? I am thinking of putting him over my flock of blacks and blues for a few weeks to see what i get but it is at least a month of invested time so it would be cool to have some opinions before i switch out my roos. :).. I tried to get a pic of his tail but he wasn't cooperating. It is a nice open tail.. leg feathering is sparse but it is there. I am sure he will fill out more he is 5 months right now.

Last edited:
Thanks Donna :)

OK so the roo gets to stay LOL!!! I do not know his background but he has a little copper leakage in his hackle, plus I also have a blue pullet from the same unknown source that is mostly blue but does show a little copper in her hackle too. So should i expect to get proper copper in the offspring or will it be more washed out? I am thinking of putting him over my flock of blacks and blues for a few weeks to see what i get but it is at least a month of invested time so it would be cool to have some opinions before i switch out my roos. :).. I tried to get a pic of his tail but he wasn't cooperating. It is a nice open tail.. leg feathering is sparse but it is there. I am sure he will fill out more he is 5 months right now.

Just a baby! My understanding is that if you have blues and blacks it's not a good idea to mix them up with the coppers...or did you mean put him with BCM and blue coppers? He looks substantial for 5 months.

Back
Top Bottom