Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Thanks.
Sorry, should have said that they are now about 10+ days old, so figuring out who is who is pretty easy at this age. However, I have been breeding them for just over 5 years, so I have learned to spot the little buggers early. I also rely on naturally occurring differences in feathering characteristics between males and females as the chicks mature and feather out. Also, at this point the males are starting to show their lovely little combs as well. :)

I've read that the females feather out before and/or faster than the males. Is that true? Once those combs show up though it's pretty easy. That's one of the many things I love about this particular breed.

I've read that the females feather out before and/or faster than the males. Is that true? Once those combs show up though it's pretty easy. That's one of the many things I love about this particular breed.

I haven't noticed this trait in this breed. I find that all my males feather in at the same rate, sometimes faster than the pullets. I always go by early comb development, males tend to show themselves very early,. I typically start noticing males at by 2 weeks of age.

All of these are suppose to be blue and black copper marans, I don't know how old they are, forgot to ask when I got them from the feed store. What do ya'll think? I am going to put them outside as soon as I can so that they will have more room.

Last edited:
All of these are suppose to be blue and black copper marans, I don't know how old they are, forgot to ask when I got them from the feed store. What do ya'll think? I am going to put them outside as soon as I can so that they will have more room.

Im not sure if there are any pure marans in that bunch. I definitely see a few that aren't Marans.

I was thinking by the pics that I saw online that some were not. Most of them do have feathers on their feet but not all.
Sometimes pure Marans do not have feathers on their shanks/toes. I have one blue hen who has feathers but none of her blue chicks do. From what I can see, maybe the feed store or hatchery got some chicks mixed up in that bunch. Closeups of individual birds will help to identify. They look ready to get out in the world though, good job!

Back
Top Bottom