Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

These are part of my Splash and Black Copper pen. Still on the fence on what I want to do. I just keep bouncing around from one idea to another - Forget doing Blacks and go for Blues and Splash? Black and Splash separately with some Black and Blues in with the Splash? I think it will come down to what I want to overwinter on a consistent basis. This winter has made downsizing for the next a priority for me. I'll keep only the best of the best. I've had no sickness or lost any birds this winter so I feel good about that given the weather.

These are part of my Splash and Black Copper pen. Still on the fence on what I want to do. I just keep bouncing around from one idea to another - Forget doing Blacks and go for Blues and Splash? Black and Splash separately with some Black and Blues in with the Splash? I think it will come down to what I want to overwinter on a consistent basis. This winter has made downsizing for the next a priority for me. I'll keep only the best of the best. I've had no sickness or lost any birds this winter so I feel good about that given the weather.

haha, that sounds so familiar.. so eventually i decided to keep them all in one pen and keep notes on who is who, then when i want to make blacks i take out the ones
that only have black in their history... kinda gets hard to track though, glad i have excel :)

your birds look lovely!!!

Nice looking birds. Boy those splash sure blend in with the snow, eh?

I have one pen for BCM and one pen for the blue coppers. I don't know what I'll do when the splash grow up.
idunno.gif

Quote: I love the Black Coppers. They are what I think of when I think of a chicken and a rooster and were my first 'must have' bird and still seem to be. I think if I had to choose just one breed they'd be it over my Legbars but I want to keep the Splash as they are just so beautiful and I like the challenge of working on egg color and type. I just learnt about Golden Cuckoos and can sense myself wanting to participate in some chicken math. I'll investigate but I really don't need to take on any more at this point. I think I will do similar to what Runawaylobster has done. I keep them but separate them in the warm months and then if I have to I'll house them together for winter if it comes down to it. I think I'll do some blues to just to see what I get but if I can keep both the Black and the Splash that'll be perfection for me. I had planned on doing a spreadsheet this year and really streamline my breeding records so I better get started.
haha, that sounds so familiar.. so eventually i decided to keep them all in one pen and keep notes on who is who, then when i want to make blacks i take out the ones
that only have black in their history... kinda gets hard to track though, glad i have excel :)

your birds look lovely!!!

Any comments about short vs long legs, especially on the roosters?

I don't really get a sense for that when I read the Marans club standards (didn't look carefully?), but it seems like the illustrations show a big bird with short legs.

I really like the look of a longer leg with the overall proportions of the Marans rooster.

On another note, any comments about white wing tips as chicks feather in?

Back
Top Bottom