Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Any comments about short vs long legs, especially on the roosters?

I don't really get a sense for that when I read the Marans club standards (didn't look carefully?), but it seems like the illustrations show a big bird with short legs.

I really like the look of a longer leg with the overall proportions of the Marans rooster.

On another note, any comments about white wing tips as chicks feather in?
A long-legged Marans would look much like a Langshan to me. The body feathering can make legs appear longer or shorter. I don't worry about white wingtips, they always molt out. Toe or tail feathers that are white...that's another thing, more serious to me.

A long-legged Marans would look much like a Langshan to me. The body feathering can make legs appear longer or shorter. I don't worry about white wingtips, they always molt out. Toe or tail feathers that are white...that's another thing, more serious to me.
thanks for your thoughts.
I can see how my question brings to mind the Langshan.

The recent photos posted by blackbirds13 has a rooster with nice proportions to my eye, but the leg seems longer than the Marans club illustrations and some other photos I've been looking at.
Body feathering and camera angle are a consideration, as are personal perspectives, thanks again.

Also, I appreciate the white wingtip note. Does that seem linked to anything as far as breeding lines or egg color or?

Marans chicks should have white wing tips. They USUALLY molt out. If they still have them after 6-7 month old then they would be a cull.

I think the leg should be med long.

Marans chicks should have white wing tips. They USUALLY molt out. If they still have them after 6-7 month old then they would be a cull.

I think the leg should be med long.
thanks for the note.
Are there particular lines that do or do not have the white wing tips? And while I'm asking, are there any other variations people are seeing on their chicks? Like white face markings, or white chests vs no white chests...

Would you characterize blackbirds13 splash rooster as a med long leg? (thanks for sharing the pics blackbirds13, hope you don't mind that it is an easy reference)

These are part of my Splash and Black Copper pen. Still on the fence on what I want to do. I just keep bouncing around from one idea to another - Forget doing Blacks and go for Blues and Splash? Black and Splash separately with some Black and Blues in with the Splash? I think it will come down to what I want to overwinter on a consistent basis. This winter has made downsizing for the next a priority for me. I'll keep only the best of the best. I've had no sickness or lost any birds this winter so I feel good about that given the weather.

So pretty!

Hello all I have just recently purchased some blue copper and blue splash marans chicks just wondering if it is normal for the blue chicks to have white feathers on the ends of there wings thanks

I have blue copper marans, 3 hens and 1 rooster. We are hatching the eggs and getting some odd colored chicks. Some are white with red highlights, some are a pearl gray color, and some are colored like quail. I am getting the French black, blue splash, and blue copper also. Can any one help with this? This is our first time hatching their eggs, we got them as chicks last spring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom