Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

I noticed that you are from Georgia as well. Check on the Yo Georgians thread. I know there are several that have Marans on that thread. I have two Blue Copper Maran pullets, but they are not laying eggs yet.

Last edited:
I have blue copper marans, 3 hens and 1 rooster. We are hatching the eggs and getting some odd colored chicks. Some are white with red highlights, some are a pearl gray color, and some are colored like quail. I am getting the French black, blue splash, and blue copper also. Can any one help with this? This is our first time hatching their eggs, we got them as chicks last spring.
Need photos to help. Sounds like there are other breeds in your stock from the description you gave. Are there any other breeds on your place?

These are the parents, I also have cuckoo marans but they are all kept in separate pens to avoid breeding with each other.

The other hen looks identical to this one.

#1 chick

#2 chick

#3 chick

#4 chick

And #5 the only blue one

Quote:
if those BCM are the ONLY possible parents then I would say that they carry the wheaten gene Hidden with them, its fairly common for breeders to mix the Wheaten Marans and BCM so both of your stock have this gene hidden because wheaten is recessive to the Birchen e allele that would make them ER/eWh when crossed together some pure eWh/eWh are expected Now that explan the White/Cream looking chick, the Other Chicks are weird, now the ONLY Possible way I can explan this withotu calling those chicks Mutts or Not marans are the following.. one of the Hens(or rooster) could also carry the Wildtype chick down gene found on the Super Rare Golden Salmon Marans, now if your Rooster is indeed ER/eWh and one of yoru hens is ER/e+ then some of those chicks will have to be e+/eWh and e+/eWh chicks cand and do look chipmunk stripped.. hope this helps

I have been looking them up and the two hens look like the Birchen hens. The cream and red babies also look like the Wheaton babies but I wasn't sure if that bloodline was crossed in the blue. I'm keeping them because I'm curious to see what they become! That's why I love the blue chickens, it's like a surprise every time an egg hatches!

Back
Top Bottom