Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

This is my lone boy, a handsome Blue Copper Marans. He is about 4 months in this picture. We are new to roosters, but he is super sweet and we love him!!! Any comments welcome!!

Last edited:

Blue Belle is our 4 month old Blue (hence the name)
big_smile.png
Her sister Sapphire, is almost identical but has more dark spots on her back.

Blue Belle is our 4 month old Blue (hence the name)
big_smile.png
Her sister Sapphire, is almost identical but has more dark spots on her back.
I really like the lighter blue with dark splotches even if it isn't generally considered favorable. I have one hen that is similar and I have been hoping for some of her chicks to show similar colors but with no luck. Please , let me know if you decide to rehome or sell eggs from your girls.

I really like the lighter blue with dark splotches even if it isn't generally considered favorable. I have one hen that is similar and I have been hoping for some of her chicks to show similar colors but with no luck. Please , let me know if you decide to rehome or sell eggs from your girls.
I also like the pattern on the blues. This pullet is getting a bit of copper now on those lovely laced hackle feathers. I'll get some photos of some of the young stock if it ever quits raining. We sell eggs from this (now) hen.
smile.png

Last edited:
I also like the pattern on the blues. This pullet is getting a bit of copper now on those lovely laced hackle feathers. I'll get some photos of some of the young stock if it ever quits raining. We sell eggs from this (now) hen.
smile.png

I have blue hens from two different lines, and they show different color traits. One has spotty color similar to the photo and lacing, the other has very consistent color and lacing. Any thoughts on the differences?

smile.png

Oh she is beautiful too! Do you breed her to a blue copper roo? And do her blue offspring have dark spots? I've no idea why some would be uniform and others not, but I saw the blotches referred to as "leakage" someplace.

Here is the only pic that I could find of our splotchy blue and her baby picture. She looked like a splash as a chick only with a dark wing. I'd like to find a blue splotchy rooster for her.

Last edited:
That was me..... it is a leaky gene and that is BLACK leaking through the blue.
Do you think that using a splash with a lot of leakage in a pairing with a BCM instead of a splash with little leakage could cause the leakage in the blue?

For example:

Back
Top Bottom