Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Quote: With the Marans Back we want a Back that is wide from front to the base of the tail. Best way to correct the pinched tail is use a Male with a big Bushy tail as this will open up the tail on the young.

When we have Marans with squirrel tail we should look at the length of the Back, short back usually means squirrel tail. DON
The more I look at these young Marans I say they are mixed with Americana. Check with the person you got them from and see if they had Americana also. Don

Also, are there no black marans?

Yes there are but rare as hens teeth.... really. Usually they will leak copper. Most believe that if they don't express copper they are black and breed them that way and that is not the case. Eventually the copper will show and it is almost impossible to get the copper out of them.

If I want to produce some blue marans without using a splash, what would give me the best blue? A really black male/female with a blue male/female?

If you only want to use blue and black (not splash) either combo will give you a hatch of 50/50 blue and black. My understanding of breeding blues is you get the best blues using blue to blue but I think you can get a good color with any combo, just more culling with other options.... meaning the blues will vary more.

The more I look at these young Marans I say they are mixed with Americana. Check with the person you got them from and see if they had Americana also. Don

All of them? He has olive eggers??? But they're in a completely separate pen. I've seen the pullets momma and daddy. What makes em look like they are mixed? I really would like to start my own hatchery/egg selling but I don't want to sell someone something they're not if you're saying they're mixed.

All of them? He has olive eggers??? But they're in a completely separate pen. I've seen the pullets momma and daddy. What makes em look like they are mixed? I really would like to start my own hatchery/egg selling but I don't want to sell someone something they're not if you're saying they're mixed.
They don't seem to have ameracauna genes. I think they just need some work on bringing them up to the standard. They don't have to be perfect if they are going to be egg layers and not really used for show. I would just work on egg size, egg color and body type if for backyard egg layers.

They don't seem to have ameracauna genes. I think they just need some work on bringing them up to the standard. They don't have to be perfect if they are going to be egg layers and not really used for show. I would just work on egg size, egg color and body type if for backyard egg layers. 
I'd kinda like to breed them for both... Big dark eggs and pretty birds for show. If that's possible how hard is that to do?

Back
Top Bottom