Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

They don't seem to have ameracauna genes. I think they just need some work on bringing them up to the standard. They don't have to be perfect if they are going to be egg layers and not really used for show. I would just work on egg size, egg color and body type if for backyard egg layers. 
What is the body type for backyard layers and how do you breed for that?

Also, you might not want to use that splash with white legs. Marans have blue/black legs

Actually Splash birds do have white legs..... I don't know the genetics behind it but they should look more like cuckoo marans legs. The correct term is slate color.

Quote: If Snowbird thinks they are mixed odds are pretty good he is right. It is VERY hard to tell Olive Egger apart from Marans.... trust me if they lose a leg band you can't tell them apart.... I would just sell them as pullets if I couldn't tell them apart. Olive Egger can have straight combs too and feathered legs and if you are lucky muffs and beards but if they don't they look like Marans when they are younger. UNLESS you have the eye that Don has.

Actually Splash birds do have white legs..... I don't know the genetics behind it but they should look more like cuckoo marans legs. The correct term is slate color.
That splash has too much white, feathers and all. Even the legs seem to be almost pink like a buff orpington's. Maybe it's still too young and will darken with age. I guess different bloodlines have different shades of darkness on the splash. I said blue/black because not a lot of people know what the color "slate" means when it comes to chicken legs.

I don't have splash and I don't breed for it usually but I am 98% sure I am right. The legs on the pics you posted look wrong.... pink would be ok since the blood would be showing through. The bottom picture looks correct.

This is a Cuckoo Marans leg

This is a Splash Copper marans I know his legs were white

This is a splash with one copy of the barring gene.... white legs

Same cockerel as above with white legs.

Donna, I believe that Walt said the Splash would be required to have Slate colored legs Now the matings they are from will determine the leg color. If they are from BC, Blue Copper or Splash they should have Slate with a little ping between the scales. This was asked of Walt a year or so ago and he said they would have to be Slate standard . Don

Back
Top Bottom