Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

That is what the experts say. With that said you can also produce good color with splash to black or black and blue. I think the logic is breeding blue x blue with both about the same color would yield more blues of the same tone. You might have more culling for color with the other breeding combos.
My splash to black breeding has given me light, medium and dark blue, but this is my first color breeding. It would seem that there is a lot of variability in this one hatch with two hens and one rooster. I don't know what that birchen-bred splash is going to throw into the mix, though. He was all I had.

Last edited:
Quote:
You will get that variation with blue x blue too, but you should get more Med Blues. Breeding to splash birds will produce lighter blues, breeding to black should give you darker blue. You will hear old time breeders call splash and black unusable bi products from a blue pen. They don't call them BBS pens like us new kids.... they are just Blue pens.

You will get that variation with blue x blue too, but you should get more Med Blues. Breeding to splash birds will produce lighter blues, breeding to black should give you darker blue. You will hear old time breeders call splash and black unusable bi products from a blue pen. They don't call them BBS pens like us new kids.... they are just Blue pens.
My blues whether black X blue or blue X blue vary from quite light to almost blue-black dark blue. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the shade of blue at all.

At what age do combs and wattles start to really show on blue copper marans to see if they are a cockerel or pullet? I will try to post some pics later when I get home.

At what age do combs and wattles start to really show on blue copper marans to see if they are a cockerel or pullet? I will try to post some pics later when I get home.
On my Marans I can usually tell the young males at about three weeks old, Different lines mature at different ages. Don

Back
Top Bottom