Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

I know this is not much help, but 16-40 weeks! The initial pullets I bought were 8-10 months old before they started laying (in the winter). Chicks from my eggs (from those hens) have started as early as 16 weeks. Mostly as chicken people, we wait. Wait for the hatch, wait for the sexing, wait for the laying...wait, wait, wait!
th.gif

Ha! I know all about the waiting. My Marans finally started laying at 23 weeks. We are getting nice dark eggs. Unfortunately, while they started laying in the nesting box, one has developed the bad habit of laying the egg wherever she is standing, usually in the run. Which is even more challenging because her eggs are all ready the color of dirt! Hopefully it's just a phase.

Ha! I know all about the waiting. My Marans finally started laying at 23 weeks. We are getting nice dark eggs. Unfortunately, while they started laying in the nesting box, one has developed the bad habit of laying the egg wherever she is standing, usually in the run. Which is even more challenging because her eggs are all ready the color of dirt! Hopefully it's just a phase.
I would say keep them locked in the coop until the laying is over, but my Marans are LATE IN THE DAY layers. All the other hens lay in the morning. Like I said...waiting...

Great theory, but they lay all throughout the day. Hopefully it is just a phase. They only recently started laying, and out of all of them, she is the only one that has laid outside the coop. She has used the nesting box at least once or twice, so maybe it is just a phase
he.gif

Two questions:

1. So what do i have here, the lady said they are all blue copper maran pullets. I told her I was 95% sure the one (bottom laying down by the Black sexed link) is an olive egger, cross from her blue copper roo and easter egger. She said she didnt incubate any blue eggs.I still wanted her, dont have an olive eggers.
The other two she said were blue copper pullets but I dont know. The one has a lot of brown on her chest and the other has a larger, while still very light pink, comb and small waddles. I dont know their exact age.

All pics are same 3 birds.

2.- So can Blue Copper have rose comb? I bought these 3 from a lady with a GORGEOUS blue copper roo but he HAD a rose comb and two of these do also. The one that I think is a olive egger and so does the one with the most brown, bottom 2 pics.

Any help with these would be great, gender, are they blue coppers...rose comb info...thanks
-Matt

Rose combs are not from black copper marans, I'm guessing they came from an easter egger hence the olive egger. And i think you have some roos, the one in the 2nd to last photo looks like a boy to me.

I really really wish people who sell birds would try to inform themselves more. For example, I'm guessing she has an easter egger rooster and didn't wait a month before incubating eggs from the hens that were with that roo. Or maybe she hatched some olive eggers and one or two got mixed in with the others.

Blah, what i was worried about. Better not all 3 be roos. I will NOT be happy. I think the olive egger is a pullet but the other two....just dont know.

So is a month the magical time frame for cleaning the mating cycle? I always wondered about that. Ive never really heard.

thanks for your input.

Two questions:

1. So what do i have here, the lady said they are all blue copper maran pullets. I told her I was 95% sure the one (bottom laying down by the Black sexed link) is an olive egger, cross from her blue copper roo and easter egger. She said she didnt incubate any blue eggs.I still wanted her, dont have an olive eggers.
The other two she said were blue copper pullets but I dont know. The one has a lot of brown on her chest and the other has a larger, while still very light pink, comb and small waddles. I dont know their exact age.

2.- So can Blue Copper have rose comb? I bought these 3 from a lady with a GORGEOUS blue copper roo but he HAD a rose comb and two of these do also. The one that I think is a olive egger and so does the one with the most brown, bottom 2 pics.

Any help with these would be great, gender, are they blue coppers...rose comb info...thanks
-Matt
I agree with FVRM. Those birds are a mix, pure Marans do not have rose comb. The lighter pullet in the top photo, that has the copper hackle, might be pure Blue Copper, but I would suspect it since the others are obviously mixes. The one on the far left, top photo, same bird as bottom two photos, is a cockerel. Pullet would not have the copper color coming in on the wing and he has that cockerel look about him. They are all very beautiful, but not pure Blue Copper Marans.

Two questions:

I am 100% sure that 2 in this picture are cockerels. The one with a rose comb might have some wyandotte in his background. The one with a beard and muffs is either an EE or Olive Egger but you will never know as it is a cockerel too. The other blue is a up in the air for me and I would not trust it to be pure for anything with the other mixed birds you got. How old are they? I would have said cockerel on the other one but when I saw her next to the sex link, she is not nearly as red in the comb and she looks younger. Time will tell on that one.

Do you see the red on the wings of the one with a rose comb and the other with a pea comb and beard? Only cockerels can get that red on the wings. Sorry.... they are 100% cockerels.

-Matt

DMRippy, you have really sharp eyes. I didn't see the red on the other cockerel, the one with the muffs, until you pointed it out. Yes you are right, only the cockerels get the red in the wing.

Well this is about as bad of news as I could get.

You really think the Olive Egger is a cockrel also? that is horrible and I thought roo about the one with the red on it so it sounds like my best chance in the one with single comb and red on neck to be female? Ill hold out hope for the Olive Egger but i sorta knew it about the one with red.

The lady I got them from was great and i will let her know many opinions are roos and we will see what she says. I might be able to work something out with her because $13 a piece for pullets i could deal with but not for roos.

thanks for the info, even if it isnt what i was looking for.

Will pullets EVER spar when young? The red one and the Olive egger attempt it once in a while and that worried me.

-Matt

Back
Top Bottom