Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Well this is about as bad of news as I could get.

You really think the Olive Egger is a cockrel also? that is horrible and I thought roo about the one with the red on it so it sounds like my best chance in the one with single comb and red on neck to be female? Ill hold out hope for the Olive Egger but i sorta knew it about the one with red.

The lady I got them from was great and i will let her know many opinions are roos and we will see what she says. I might be able to work something out with her because $13 a piece for pullets i could deal with but not for roos.

thanks for the info, even if it isnt what i was looking for.

Will pullets EVER spar when young? The red one and the Olive egger attempt it once in a while and that worried me.

-Matt
So sorry you didn't get what you thought you bought. It's frustrating for you, and also for the breeders reading this knowing that this kind of thing goes on ALL the time. Bummer for everyone.

Well this is about as bad of news as I could get.

You really think the Olive Egger is a cockrel also? that is horrible and I thought roo about the one with the red on it so it sounds like my best chance in the one with single comb and red on neck to be female? Ill hold out hope for the Olive Egger but i sorta knew it about the one with red.

The lady I got them from was great and i will let her know many opinions are roos and we will see what she says. I might be able to work something out with her because $13 a piece for pullets i could deal with but not for roos.

thanks for the info, even if it isnt what i was looking for.

Will pullets EVER spar when young? The red one and the Olive egger attempt it once in a while and that worried me.

-Matt

Yes they are both cockerels, no doubt.

yup, that is what I meant by sparring, im sure that is what it was, feathers sticking out on neck. darn it all.

Well, now i only hope the 3rd pulls through as a pullet otherwise im hosed. noone wants a bunch of cockrels so into the freezer they go and that is going to be expensive chicken. $13 plus butchering fee AND I have to feed them till they are big enough...Nov or Dec i would guess.

Ill talk to the lady and maybe just maybe she will cut me a break because she ALL but guarenteed them pullets when I questioned her hard. It is hard to tell when they are younger but still.

I have had terrible luck on getting hens.

bought 5 very young black copper marans- supposed to be 1 maybe 2 roos and 3 hens....ended up, 4 roos and 1 hen
bought 8 day old blue laced red wyandotte and got 5 roos, 1 not sure and 2 hens
bought these 3 supposed to be hens and got 2 roos and 1 not sure
that black sex linked better be a hen :)
good thing i got 5- 10 month old isa browns otherwise we wouldnt get getting squat for eggs.

we will see.
thanks all for the quick responses.

yup, that is what I meant by sparring, im sure that is what it was, feathers sticking out on neck. darn it all.

Well, now i only hope the 3rd pulls through as a pullet otherwise im hosed. noone wants a bunch of cockrels so into the freezer they go and that is going to be expensive chicken. $13 plus butchering fee AND I have to feed them till they are big enough...Nov or Dec i would guess.

Ill talk to the lady and maybe just maybe she will cut me a break because she ALL but guarenteed them pullets when I questioned her hard. It is hard to tell when they are younger but still.

I have had terrible luck on getting hens.

bought 5 very young black copper marans- supposed to be 1 maybe 2 roos and 3 hens....ended up, 4 roos and 1 hen
bought 8 day old blue laced red wyandotte and got 5 roos, 1 not sure and 2 hens
bought these 3 supposed to be hens and got 2 roos and 1 not sure
that black sex linked better be a hen :)
good thing i got 5- 10 month old isa browns otherwise we wouldnt get getting squat for eggs.

we will see.
thanks all for the quick responses.

It is all a learning experience but those two cockerels should have been able to tell as chicks that they were a cross since they do not have a straight comb like a Marans. I don't know how old they were when you got them, but even newborn chicks, you can see the points on a straight comb. Maybe need a magnifier if you have old eyes like mine
lol.png
but you can see them. Also, the pure Marans cockerels, most anyway, show themselves very early on, get that big comb and wattles. There are usually a few that are late bloomers, but in general, they are very easy to sex by 3 weeks with a little experience. Ameraucanas, EEs, others with those small combs, they can take longer to tell sex. Maybe the lady will take them back or trade out for pullets for you, I think she should since they are not even the pure breed you thought you were getting.

At how many weeks or months do blue copper marans start laying? My girl is about 17 weeks old.
Some of the chicks that were hatched from my eggs started laying at 16 weeks. Mine seem to be more like 20 weeks, though one of my BCM just started laying at 17. Sometimes as long as 8 months for the first egg, but those were not my birds and waited through the cold winter here before they began to lay.

So the answer is:

It Depends.
idunno.gif

Some of the chicks that were hatched from my eggs started laying at 16 weeks. Mine seem to be more like 20 weeks, though one of my BCM just started laying at 17. Sometimes as long as 8 months for the first egg, but those were not my birds and waited through the cold winter here before they began to lay.

So the answer is:

It Depends.
idunno.gif
Thanks

So I've got a question. I'm thinking about starting a blue copper project next year and I'm wondering if there's a difference between regular black copper marans and the black you'd get from bluexblue. Does it have any affect on the copper?

The difference I've been told is the black coppers from the blue coppers may lose some of the modifying genes that affect the nice green sheen. Not sure what else is affected, but the copper should not be affected. What I've been told is, it is fine to breed black coppers from pure black copper matings to blues, but not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom