Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Finally took some photos of one of my Blue Copper pullets from this year that has some decent copper hackles. It's been like pulling teeth trying to get copper on my Blue Copper pullets! What do you think of her? Without checking her wing band, I'm not sure, but I think she is about 5 months old.

Marcy, I like the look for the age, I believe she will look even better after she molts again. I like the medium Blue coloring and the type looks good also.

Thanks Don. I'm in the process of going through my Marans from this year, putting numbered leg bands on them and taking notes. It seems the ones with the nicer edging lack any copper whereas the lighter blues tend to have more copper but have poor to no lacing. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the best of both? I have a friend here who is a poultry judge and he told me with the blue chickens, if they don't have good edging/lacing, a judge will just pass them by.

What varieties are in the Blue Coppers you are working with ? I have suggestions but would like to know the makeup first.

I believe only Blue Copper and Black Copper. I have been working with them both for 3 years and haven't added anything in myself. I have been having difficulty getting a Blue Copper cockerel in my breedings that I felt good enough to breed, so I have been breeding my Black Copper cockerel or cock to Blue Copper pullets or hens. This year, I had one Blue Copper cockerel that I thought would work but his comb developed so horribly twisted in two directions, and his sire's comb wasn't the best either, so I culled him. Still have 4 Blue Copper cockerels growing out. One has a ton of copper on his chest and I normally would have culled him for that but keep hearing that may be a way to get the copper in the pullets? IDK...And I can't seem to get rid of white fluff on my Blues but none of my Black Copper pullets or hens have it and I have a couple of Black C. males that have dark underfluff including the sire for all most of my Blue Coppers this year, so how do I get rid of the white under fluff in my Blue Coppers? That's another issue I have. Thanks.

I believe only Blue Copper and Black Copper. I have been working with them both for 3 years and haven't added anything in myself. I have been having difficulty getting a Blue Copper cockerel in my breedings that I felt good enough to breed, so I have been breeding my Black Copper cockerel or cock to Blue Copper pullets or hens. This year, I had one Blue Copper cockerel that I thought would work but his comb developed so horribly twisted in two directions, and his sire's comb wasn't the best either, so I culled him. Still have 4 Blue Copper cockerels growing out. One has a ton of copper on his chest and I normally would have culled him for that but keep hearing that may be a way to get the copper in the pullets? IDK...And I can't seem to get rid of white fluff on my Blues but none of my Black Copper pullets or hens have it and I have a couple of Black C. males that have dark underfluff including the sire for all most of my Blue Coppers this year, so how do I get rid of the white under fluff in my Blue Coppers? That's another issue I have. Thanks.
x2
I'm interested in answers to all of these questions as well.
My lines are new to me and combine blues attributed to Wade Jean from a California breeder, and blacks from a Texas breeder with 3 different lines including Cottage Hill plus others.

Hi Marcy!

She is a good looking pullet! I agree with Don that she will look even better once she ages a bit more and molts. Nice copper by the way! :)

Hi Rexy! Thanks for the Welcome back! I have missed chicken chatting with everyone, but college has kept me very busy the last year.

Don- Great to hear from you my friend! I hope life is treating you good! Whatever happened to that blue male that popped up out of all those eggs you hatched out? You didn't think that I would forget about the blue boy did you?

Marcy- the only way that I know how to rid the Blues of the white fluff is to cull for it just as we do the Black Coppers. I will be looking forward to seeing replies to this.

Marcy- the only way that I know how to rid the Blues of the white fluff is to cull for it just as we do the Black Coppers. I will be looking forward to seeing replies to this.
But what if they ALL have it?? I like my line otherwise and do not want to add from someone else's birds, I've had too many problems doing that. I guess I can try to "grade" the white fluff, but it is hard to look at them and say one has more than another.

Back
Top Bottom