Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

ohh well they are not black coppers they are all blue copper marans..:)

sorry
Well that clears it up then. Generally BCM stands for Black Copper Marans, not blue.
wink.png

can someone post pictures of their blue copper maran roosters around 4 month old? I heard they were supposed to have either red or orange eyes. If so, when do they change to that color?

Last edited:
can someone post pictures of their blue copper maran roosters around 4 month old? I heard they were supposed to have either red or orange eyes. If so, when do they change to that color?
Bay is the color. Not sure really when they eyes change but it might take longer than 4 months. Usually before they are breeding age.

Bay is the color.  Not sure really when they eyes change but it might take longer than 4 months.  Usually before they are breeding age.

Yep, Donna is right, their eyes generally start to change colors as they begin to sexually mature. I have seen some change earlier, but I do not recall seeing any change color after sexual maturity, not to say that it couldn't happen, anything is possible.
Will say that I watch the juvenile birds that have the greenish/ gray colored eyes. It has been my experience that they are the ones that will color out the correct deep pumpkin-ish color. I have seen a few of the darker eyed birds lighten as they mature, but they have never lightened enough to be considered correct, and still appear pretty dark.

Donna-

Here is a quick photo one of the Blue Copper girls. These are not great photos and do not show the blue's gals little bit of copper. These photos are from almost two months ago. I was not able to get better photos a couple weeks ago and now the rain has started.
The pullets that I hatched out from your eggs are going on 7 months old now. Combs have gotten bigger and are now nice and red, as well as their faces.

This is the male that I will be using. These photos show that he is red...yes he is, but when he is in the sun it does not appear this dark. I am hoping that his red will get some color on to this blue gals offspring. I know he is dark and she is pretty light and I am hoping for some sort of better balance. It will probably backfire on me, but hey, it's worth trying and they are the only birds that I have to work with. :p P.S. don't know what is on him that is looking white on his neck, but I do know it is not a white feather, or shaft. This male comes from my blue copper male Lil' Bill. Yep. . . that big ol' Bill Sr. chest and pride doesn't fail to come through in his offspring, and for generations after that. I still miss my Bill Sr. every single day!

Here is a quick shot of what the BCM's have for copper.

Last edited:
@pinkchick he is really mahogany.... maybe your plan will work. My Marans have really slacked off. I will get you more when they pick back up or when I move some pullet in and they start laying. I am only getting 1 egg a day 2 if I am REALLY lucky LOL. My current roo is mahogany too.... Vicky suggested using him to SET the color on the blues to get more copper on them.... we will see. I am keeping a few little cockerels to grow out a new Blue Copper roo.

I had to put down one of my hens. She was lame and just couldn't get around at all. I put it off as long as I could be it had to be done. I am going to have to go through that pen and my grow out pens soon and see who stays and goes for next year. I sold a could of older hens out of there too.

Hi everybody,
My Blue Copper Marans are now 8 months old, they were laying an egg about every other day, but now they have completely stopped. Any suggestions? I know Marans tend to go broody, but they are not staying in the nesting boxes or anything. HELP!!!!
idunno.gif

Hi everybody,
My Blue Copper Marans are now 8 months old, they were laying an egg about every other day, but now they have completely stopped. Any suggestions? I know Marans tend to go broody, but they are not staying in the nesting boxes or anything. HELP!!!!
idunno.gif

From what I have read other people say and from my own experience, Marans tend to lay in cycles. Lay good for a while, take a break, start up again. Sounds like yours are taking a break.

Back
Top Bottom