Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

I haven't had marans for long...about three years. Here is what I have produced with a splash hen and an unrelated bcm cock. The cockerel and pullets below are right at five months. None of the pullets are showing any copper thus far. They do have feathered legs, just can't see it very well in the pics. Ignore the mutts and turkeys;-) I am trying to decide whether to keep the project up or send them all to freezer camp. Any opinions?

I haven't had marans for long...about three years. Here is what I have produced with a splash hen and an unrelated bcm cock. The cockerel and pullets below are right at five months. None of the pullets are showing any copper thus far. They do have feathered legs, just can't see it very well in the pics. Ignore the mutts and turkeys;-) I am trying to decide whether to keep the project up or send them all to freezer camp. Any opinions?

They look good from these angles...how about from the top, front, and back? The cockerel is a little front-heavy it looks like, but he's not standing still. They never do.

They look good from these angles...how about from the top, front, and back? The cockerel is a little front-heavy it looks like, but he's not standing still. They never do.

Pretty consistent as far as width from front to tail...the bcm cock is front heavy but nice, wide tail...here is a pic of him please overlook the comb. We moved last fall and they went from a coop to a barn and I had my first experience with frostbite. I do also have some serious brickhouse bcm hens to add to the mix. Thanks for your input!

Pretty consistent as far as width from front to tail...the bcm cock is front heavy but nice, wide tail...here is a pic of him please overlook the comb. We moved last fall and they went from a coop to a barn and I had my first experience with frostbite. I do also have some serious brickhouse bcm hens to add to the mix. Thanks for your input!

Are his shanks light?

Hello everyone, I only have one Marans and she hasn't started laying yet. However,I imagine she will start any day. My question is, is it normal for her to get copper around her neck(I'm not sure that is the proper term, I'm very new to chickens). Also does she look true to breed?

Sorry these aren't the best pictures I will try to get some of her standing ASAP

Last edited:
Yes they are...just went out and looked.lol Can't believe I never noticed that...

Pale shanks on a BCM cockbird... unfortunately, I believe he may be split for Wheaten. I would definitely test mate him to a Wheaten based hen (such as RIR or Wheaten Americauna), hatch 20 eggs. If you see any blondes... brown, or anything other than black with white on belly, then you know- for sure. Odds are 2 out of 4 should be Wheaten if it exists.

Here are the shanks/feet of a male that was a positive split for Wheaten.

These feet are from a BCM male. (Please excuse the mud. lol) They should be medium slate over pink.

Sorry to butt in but...So BCM should have slate grey feet? No yellow right? I am new to Marans as well & think I may have bought some that aren't up to French standard, which sucks because we paid $15/ chick. Any info is greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Sorry to butt in but...So BCM should have slate grey feet? No yellow right? I am new to Marans as well & think I may have bought some that aren't up to French standard, which sucks because we paid $15/ chick. Any info is greatly appreciated. :)

The legs should be SLATE but the skin should be white. Any yellow on a juvie is a big no no. (chicks can have yellow legs for a few weeks but any older with it would be a big concern.

Back
Top Bottom