Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

I'm loving reading through this thread and seeing everyone's beautiful birds.
This will be my first year breeding Marans and I was hoping that I could pick everyone's brain for information.

I apologize in advance for the poor pictures, but unfortunately I can only send pictures to myself as a small file.

I currently have one Blue Copper Maran Rooster, who I hatched from a bunch of shipped eggs I ordered off ebay, but I think I actually lucked out.

This boy, "Pretty Boy", is BIG. He is my second largest rooster, right behind my Silver Laced Sussex (12+ lbs) and, not ever having had him on the scale, I'd guess that he weighs at least 7-8lbs. His foot feathering is pretty pathetic since he's free ranged and spends all day "hoofing" it around through the mud and tall grass taking care of his girls.

He's been an amazing rooster, which is good, because as a chick/teenager I was ready to wring his neck!

My other two Marans are both Black Copper Hens, from Meyer Hatchery. Again, I know...
From what I understand, I think Hen 2 is the better hen based on her wider stance and body shape. However, she has no copper in her hackles.

This is Hen 1, who does have copper, but is a narrower, leaner bird. She's also the better and darker layer of the two.
I'm not sure her eyes look so hooded in these pictures, because I've never noticed that in person, but I had just pulled her off her broody nest so it may have been a little bit of stink-eye.

This is Hen 2, who I think is the better hen. Maybe?
Unfortunately, she's also not as willing to have her picture taken...

Below are the eggs they lay with some Wyandotte and Leghorn Eggs. Hen 1 is the darkest egg and Hen 2 is the other dark egg. The rooster himself came from a very dark egg, at least 2-3 shades darker than either of these eggs.

So what do you think of these three? Is my rooster any good? Is it worth it to breed him to these hens now for spring babies, or should I just put the project on hold until the BkCMs and SCMs I have coming in April arrive and hit POL?

I'm loving reading through this thread and seeing everyone's beautiful birds.
This will be my first year breeding Marans and I was hoping that I could pick everyone's brain for information.

I apologize in advance for the poor pictures, but unfortunately I can only send pictures to myself as a small file.

I currently have one Blue Copper Maran Rooster, who I hatched from a bunch of shipped eggs I ordered off ebay, but I think I actually lucked out.

This boy, "Pretty Boy", is BIG. He is my second largest rooster, right behind my Silver Laced Sussex (12+ lbs) and, not ever having had him on the scale, I'd guess that he weighs at least 7-8lbs. His foot feathering is pretty pathetic since he's free ranged and spends all day "hoofing" it around through the mud and tall grass taking care of his girls.

He's been an amazing rooster, which is good, because as a chick/teenager I was ready to wring his neck!

So what do you think of these three? Is my rooster any good? Is it worth it to breed him to these hens now for spring babies, or should I just put the project on hold until the BkCMs and SCMs I have coming in April arrive and hit POL?
It's a bit hard to tell from these photo angles, but he looks to have a pretty high tail angle. Does he narrow toward the tail from the top view? For a blue copper, he has nice copper tones. I have found them notoriously hard to find with even coloring or even a decent copper on the hackle. He looks nice in this regard. A straight side view would tell us more, as it is difficult to see the balance of the bird with the angle of the photos.

Thanks Ihilani!

He does have a high tail set. Is this something that can be corrected fairly easily, or should I look for a different rooster?

Also what is your opinion on the hen's type? I know I've only got a 50% chance for blue, but is the type there?

I'll try to get some better pictures of him this weekend. I'll be locking him up with some EE Hens so should be able to get some better shots of him.

This is my 12 week blue coppers. We thought they were all pullets but on one we have now saw the little "buttons" on its legs. Makes this mean it's a roo?

This is my 12 week blue coppers. We thought they were all pullets but on one we have now saw the little "buttons" on its legs. Makes this mean it's a roo?
They are all pullets. The "buttons" you see are on both genders, if it is male they will grow into spurs.

Last edited:
Aloha I have 2 blue copper marans pullets that are 6 weeks. One is just gorgeous and her legs are very feathered. (So hard to get a pic that captures her blue color when it's overcast here)

My other is also lovely. I thought she was more black but now that she's feathering out they're coming out more blue. Her legs are only a bit feathered.
I'll have to get pics of her. I just wanted to say they are the sweetest, curious and kind birds in my flock. I just love them

Last edited:
Cute! I have a black pullet (hopefully) as well...idk if it's a "true" black as I've read those are hard to find but am very new to Marans, so idk if that is correct or not...lol

Back
Top Bottom