Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

To pay tribute to DMRippy's breeding prowess.....here are some eggs that I am currently getting from some of the girls that I hatched out from her eggs. Well done Donna! They are sooooo pretty I cannot stop staring at them. And yes, they are going into the incubator.
smile.png
Thank you for sharing with me Donna! I am so excited to start rebuilding flocks with these girls. Will post a photo of the eggs from the other girls soon. It's official, 3 of them are now laying. . . finally after 11 months. It was worth the wait!
Dumb luck! Still too new to know what I am really doing but I do like what I see every year. You may have to trade some with me after I get my house built and can focus on the birds again.

My new layer is laying an egg similar in color but smaller. She has a wry tail but nice copper in her hackles..... I hate to cull her. Maybe the Olive Egger pen??????

My new layer is laying an egg similar in color but smaller. She has a wry tail but nice copper in her hackles..... I hate to cull her. Maybe the Olive Egger pen??????
Yes! I would be hard pressed to find a use for a bird that lays that color egg, no matter other faults. Cull her offspring if you must, but not her.

I know wry tail is a serious fault if not a DQ...supposedly it causes laying/productivity problems. However, I have had several hens in the layer pen over the years with sometimes severe wry tails and they have all laid very well for some years. Is this just a show thing, or has everyone had different experiences than I have with productivity?

Quote:
It is a DQ for sure and genetic. Might call for some really hard culling. She will hold her tail normal some but more often than not it is off to one side. IDK about laying issues. I know narrow back ends or pinched tails can cause issues but I have personally not seen and issue. Most Marans we see have pinched tails and they seem to lay just fine. They might lay fewer eggs but we don't have much better to compare production with.

To pay tribute to DMRippy's breeding prowess.....here are some eggs that I am currently getting from some of the girls that I hatched out from her eggs. Well done Donna! They are sooooo pretty I cannot stop staring at them. And yes, they are going into the incubator. :) Thank you for sharing with me Donna! I am so excited to start rebuilding flocks with these girls. Will post a photo of the eggs from the other girls soon. It's official, 3 of them are now laying. . . finally after 11 months. It was worth the wait!

Worth the wait is right! Those are gorgeous eggs!!
1f60d.png

Here are my two girls. Well I hope they're both girls lol Dream is the lighter one with heavily feathered feet and Echo is darker with only a tiny bit of feathers, sometimes lol

We are very excited... Our Blue Copper Marans eggs that we set have entered lock down today. You will probably have to pry me away from the incubator!!! Here's to hoping
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom