Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Yes you can sell there. Contact them or just hook up with people prior to the show. They have a sales area. I don't know how much it is but a couple of years ago it was like $10 to sell.

There is usually a thread for Newnan show. People start one to hook up for what they want at the show. I didn't see one right off.....

Most of the BCM roosters I see posted here have a lot of copper in their saddle feathers and wings. So far mine only has copper in the hackles, will he develop the copper in his saddle feathers and wings later or no? He's about a year old now, so I'm thinking not?

Most of the BCM roosters I see posted here have a lot of copper in their saddle feathers and wings. So far mine only has copper in the hackles, will he develop the copper in his saddle feathers and wings later or no? He's about a year old now, so I'm thinking not?

He is a mature bird now, so he is not going to get more color. He is just a dark one. Very pretty, though, I like his body type.

He is a mature bird now, so he is not going to get more color. He is just a dark one. Very pretty, though, I like his body type.

I like him, he's got a good personality, not aggressive, nice to the hens, doesn't fight with the other roosters, etc. Came from a nice dark egg, unfortunately the BCM hens I had were killed by predators ... I'll keep him to produce olive eggers though, I have some EE and Ameracauna he'll be paired up with in the near future.

He will not get anymore color. Personally I would not use him but I always have a back up or two. Color is hard to get on pullets as it is so using a roo with that coloring will not put copper in the pullets hackles. He is nice and if he is all you have use him, just don't expect color to ever improve in the offspring.

He will not get anymore color. Personally I would not use him but I always have a back up or two. Color is hard to get on pullets as it is so using a roo with that coloring will not put copper in the pullets hackles. He is nice and if he is all you have use him, just don't expect color to ever improve in the offspring.

I'm not starting a BCM breeding program, he's currently the only one I have. I had 2 hens also, both with very minimal copper on them, but both were killed by predators. At this point my focus is more on a colorful egg basket, I've spent a lot of money on a few breeds to start SOP programs with and had horrible luck with predators, I'm still interested in learning about the various breeds, but have no interest in setting up an program for any one breed.

Donna, You lost me on this comment. Please explain why you could not get pullets with Copper Hackles using this Blue Copper male ?

I actually have 2 of his offspring with black Ameracuana (not EE) hens and 1 with a black Jersey Giant. Both of the cockerels have copper hackles, the hen has some copper in her hackles also, although not as much as the cockerels yet. They are all about 4-5 months old so may develop more as they age? This is one of his sons, from the Jersey Giant, the black bird on the right.

Quote: Donna, You lost me on this comment. Please explain why you could not get pullets with Copper Hackles using this Blue Copper male ?
Since he/she had no females it is a mute point. Instead of me defending myself, how about you explain why you believe and over melanized male will produce anything but over melanized females.......

Quote:
Some how the red hackles are easy to express in a cross. I saw that a lot in Olive Egger crosses I made...... you will see it in Sex links too. It is just the holy grail in copper marans pullets but is very hard to get it to express and breed true.

Back
Top Bottom