Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Thanks, that's helpful. These 3 will likely go into the cull group, regardless, but I have time so it will be interesting to see how they feather out.

I am looking to add Blue Copper Marans to my flock, but can only find straight runs locally. Can anyone speak to the temperament of the roosters of this breed? I would rather get an orpington Rooster but thought I'd ask about the Marans?

Thank you.

Has anyone here ever hatched out a blue copper roo that has absolutely zero copper?
Good copper color can be difficult to get on the BBS copper variety. They should have some copper at least. Generally it's somewhat washed out. I don't know if that's part of the blue dilution gene affecting the copper also or not.

I am looking to add Blue Copper Marans to my flock, but can only find straight runs locally. Can anyone speak to the temperament of the roosters of this breed? I would rather get an orpington Rooster but thought I'd ask about the Marans?

Thank you.
Marans cock/erels in general are pretty mellow. That being said, there will always be individuals that are more aggressive, and they should not be bred as temperament is definitely heritable.

Last year i got a dozen hatching eggs from Fitz farms I got about 50% hatch rate so about
normal for shipped eggs. I let 2 of the roos go and kept one. I have kept all the hens.
Egg color is excellent. I think they are a little bit small but otherwise pretty nice looking. The
copper color on the roo is the best i have seen. The rest on my hens are nice and
big so i am breeding the fitz brood into the flock to darken egg color. mine are black copper not
blue. I have put the roo with my breeding ladies, and i put my other blue roo with the fitz
ladies so we shall see what eggs and pretty birds come out this year. yes i know it's a risk
mixing lines but let's see. I can always go back since it is the first generation. i will
hatch some of the usual ones for backup :)

Quote:
Solid blue birds from copper marans are NOT solid blue marans (with no copper) They are genetically still copper marans. It is possible to have copper marans that express NO copper. Happens in pullets all the time. I have never seen it happen to a cockerel but I am sure it could happen.

Back
Top Bottom