Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Solid blue birds from copper marans are NOT solid blue marans (with no copper)  They are genetically still copper marans.  It is possible to have copper marans that express NO copper.  Happens in pullets all the time.  I have never seen it happen to a cockerel but I am sure it could happen.
Correct. That's what I meant to say.
1f609.png

Can anyone tell me the sex of this bird? I have two blue copper marans chicks that should be 10 weeks old tomorrow. They both looked exactly the same at 4 weeks old, but now the suspected pullet is blue and the roo is mostly black with copper flecks visible. Is he still going to end up being blue when he gets older or is he a black copper marans? When I got them one was supposed to be a pullet, and the other a cockerel, but I never knew for sure which is which. Now the possible roo's comb is only slightly bigger and redder. Here is his pic below. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me the sex of this bird? I have two blue copper marans chicks that should be 10 weeks old tomorrow. They both looked exactly the same at 4 weeks old, but now the suspected pullet is blue and the roo is mostly black with copper flecks visible. Is he still going to end up being blue when he gets older or is he a black copper marans? When I got them one was supposed to be a pullet, and the other a cockerel, but I never knew for sure which is which. Now the possible roo's comb is only slightly bigger and redder. Here is his pic below. Thanks!

The photo taken in the shade is difficult to see color, but it appears there is darker lacing around the feathers of this bird leading me to say dark blue copper. However, there is no shank or outer toe feathering, making this Marans poor quality.

Hi, First post on backyard. I picked up 30 Marans chicks from a small hatchery two weeks ago. The order consisted of copper blue/black/spash but I was told I could also get wheaten. I was told that wheaten and copper were bred separately. Most of what I got visually fit nicely as one or the other (at least at this early stage), but I have a few that don't. I have gone through all 152 pages of this forum and some of the wheaten forum, but it would be nice to get some thoughts from those of you with experience on these off-types. I haven't decided how I will breed going forward (SOP, egg color, focus on blue coppers, or just keep a crazy mix) but the first step for me is to understand what I might be dealing with genetically. I was told that the hatchery purchased their Marans a couple of years ago from a breeder focused on show quality. I realize the quality can quickly break down if you switch to production breeding and don't cull heavy, but this is what I got right now, and its been fun learning so far. Here's three of the ones that have different coloring so far (apart from the blues coming in various shades)--any comments are appreciated. The first 6 photos are of a cockerel (vent sexed), the next 3 of a chocolate colored pullet with barring on the wings, and the last 3 of a 2nd pullet with less barring, but certainly not SOP for a black copper. Thanks!
They have wheaten maran genes. I have some like these and I got a cream white maran out of the eggs. The mossy chicks will stay mossy and the blue chicks will have yellowish feathers as adults where they have rusty red.

Solid blue birds from copper marans are NOT solid blue marans (with no copper)  They are genetically still copper marans.  It is possible to have copper marans that express NO copper.  Happens in pullets all the time.  I have never seen it happen to a cockerel but I am sure it could happen.

I actually have TWO Blue Copper Marans cockerels that have no copper. Craziest thing. I had never seen that before. They are actually really neat looking.

Back
Top Bottom