Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Well been a while lost my whole flock in 2013 due to neighbors dog.

Couldn't seem to get myself to start over till now ! But happy to say I'm back ! Here are my new beginning black coppers thinking 1 blue and one splash?
Wondering about the light one splash maybe? What do you guys think!

These are all photos of Luella from the time she was about 2 weeks old. Photos that most of you probably have seen at different times.

Luella's first egg. I'm hoping to make some more progress on the color, but for a second generation blue copper, I'm not unhappy with it at all

Oh my she is gorgeous! I know nothing about breeding and what is expected for the breeds but that is one good looking hen.

K guys here they are , Its been a while lol Wondering about the real light one, could it be splash?

The beak is actually all pinkish yellow but they others were picking on her and her beak bled I had to blue gard it and pull her out for a day all good now thought
All that to say no black on her beak.

Last edited:
K guys here they are , Its been a while lol Wondering about the real light one, could it be splash?

This chick could be a splash or a light Blue Copper. It is much easier to tell when they are about three weeks old.The BC chicks looks like they are going to have some nice color. The white means they will have color if they do not have too much. Don

Thanks, I appreciate it.... she may or may not be one of my absolute favorites....(don't tell the others). Its been a long haul in creating the line I've got now, but am happy with the consistency I'm seeing now. I've got two growing out now from my first small hatch of 10 that are very similar to her, one is almost a carbon copy so far. Also in the process of finishing off a hatch from some eggs I stole out from underneath some naughty broody hens, up to 31 chicks so far, three left in the incubator, but hopefully will have some more good blue copper prospects. Will try to find time to post some photos of the oldest set of chicks soon. Its moving day for them today, graduating to a bigger pen.

Back
Top Bottom