Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

If you are Happy then it was a good deal. Personally I would not pay that kind of money for them especially since he didn't even know what he had.

Dan

I have a 3 month old Blue Copper Marans cockerel that needs a home. Friendly, from a breeder in TN with a very good reputation, I have been told. In New England. Any takers? Trying to avoid any unfortunate ends.

EDIT: apologies if this was the wrong place to put this question-- it was the blue copper marans thread I found when searching but I see my post may have been better in the general breeds discussion.

It's great to see all the photos and discussion on here!

I am posting with two questions:
1. Is this guy a splash copper? I've gone back and forth so much on what I think he is! As time goes on, he is getting darker and often in person it's hard to see the spots. He was born April 6, so about 5 months old. Should I expect much more color to come in? He does have a bit on his shoulders, though I see it's not showing up in this photo. He has a bit of orange but not as much as I would have expected. Is this perhaps just because he's hatchery stock?

2. Is this comb going to be difficult during the winters? I'm in central NH, and our temps get low (down to -20 occasionally). Anyone successfully keep the large-combed marans in this climate? I'd been planning to find a home for him out of concern for the comb getting damaged but 1) he's a great, docile, lovely rooster who takes good care of the hens and 2) anyone else in my area would have to deal with the same thing and I'd feel bad if it turned out they were less conscientious than I would be!

Thanks for any input!
Flora

At ~4-1/2 months

Last edited:

EDIT: apologies if this was the wrong place to put this question-- it was the blue copper marans thread I found when searching but I see my post may have been better in the general breeds discussion.

It's great to see all the photos and discussion on here!

I am posting with two questions:
1. Is this guy a splash copper? I've gone back and forth so much on what I think he is! As time goes on, he is getting darker and often in person it's hard to see the spots. He was born April 6, so about 5 months old. Should I expect much more color to come in? He does have a bit on his shoulders, though I see it's not showing up in this photo. He has a bit of orange but not as much as I would have expected. Is this perhaps just because he's hatchery stock?

2. Is this comb going to be difficult during the winters? I'm in central NH, and our temps get low (down to -20 occasionally). Anyone successfully keep the large-combed marans in this climate? I'd been planning to find a home for him out of concern for the comb getting damaged but 1) he's a great, docile, lovely rooster who takes good care of the hens and 2) anyone else in my area would have to deal with the same thing and I'd feel bad if it turned out they were less conscientious than I would be!

Thanks for any input!
Flora

At ~4-1/2 months

I don't know enough to give any answers with any certainty, but he looks like a Blue(Splash) Copper Marans to me.

Once again, don't know anything much, but as far as looks go, he is one stunning cockerel! I love his coloring. If I lived closer I'd take him in a heartbeat. Really beautiful!

Ugh! A disaster. Its been unusually humid here and the incubator humidity was too high. I lost most of the chicks in their shells.... I managed to save 2 blues... I will posta pic soon
Sorry about your hatch. BCMs are so hard to hatch. One user said theirs hatched two days later than any of the other eggs that they set at the same time. Cute chicks, though. Congrats on them!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom