Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Hi Everythingjane;

a Blue coloration is not stable and does not breed true.need a Black to balance t.

very hard to tell from a photos ho is ho ?

the splash copper cockerel is the best of them all .

first Blue copper cockerel is lighter .nicer comb and great eyes.

the third Blue cockerel is better colored but has a black eyes ( bad news )

never breed the Blue with a Blue .

Always breed the Blue with a black to get a nicer well balanced Blue color.

hope that help.

chooks man

Hi Chooks man, Congratulations,You look like you are getting some good results with your Marans.
thumbsup.gif

Hi misschik 3 ;

yeah I having a great result .well happy about how the thing are working out.

breeding season started now .So I m ready for another run.

working with so many varieties is time consuming but rewarding in the end.

thanks for the compliment.

chooks man

Howdy, folks! I tried to do a read back of the whole thread, but ran out of steam somewhere around page 130.

I have some delightful copper marans I got from Eight Acres this spring - all blues except one splash and two blacks. As they grew, I ended up with four pullets (three blue copper and one black copper), and five cockerels (three blue copper, one black copper, one splash). As I already have my hands full with a number of other projects, and am a victim of chicken math, I had decided that I wasn't going to keep any cockerels, and just keep the pullets for laying. But the splash cockerel ended up being impressive enough to me that I decided to keep him after all. He was a very respectable 5.28 lbs at 16 weeks, and now at 17 weeks is heavier than the biggest of the very nice big German New Hampshire boys, and he's most certainly top of the pecking order.

Thought I'd share a photo. His name is Chunky Monkey. (Caught him here immediately pre-crow). There's some molting going on, but he doesn't look too bad. My favorite part is the black spots on his beak.
big_smile.png

If I decide to breed from him I have one black and three blue pullets to put him with - as well as some cream legbar girls for olive eggers. (If I don't, he still seems to have the makings of a great protector for one of my "families".)

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
What does everyone think a blue cooper rooster and welsummer hen will make?

Others with more knowledge of genetics will comment but I'm thinking the color expression will be somewhat similar to BBS Copper Marans. Blue is a dilution of the black gene. You should get 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash. Maybe some of the cross pullets will have blue body feathers with red lace, brown breast feathers and gold neck hackles. The color pattern of a Welsummer Cock is similar to a Wheaten Marans Cock with a red triangle in the wing whereas the triangle is black/blue in the Black/Blue Copper Marans. So some cocks should have red wing triangles with some black/blue. Just a guess but I'm thinking the cross will be 50/50 feathered/clean legged and 50/50 light gray/yellow legged shanked. Welsummers can be sexed at hatch by color pattern but I'm not sure if that trait will be retained in a cross. I don't know if egg color will be retained or lossed...I'm thinking the latter.

Not sure this helped but it was a fun mental exercise.

KW

Last edited:
Hello guys! I am planning on getting some Blue Copper Marans in a few months, so I guess I need to start learning! I have a question, if I cross a Blue Ameraucana with a Blue Copper Maran, will I get a Blue auto-sexing Olive egger?

And another question, the lady I am purchasing my Blue Copper Marans from says I have the choice of either pure bred Blue Copper Marans, or part Black marans and part Blue copper Marans? What would you get? I want dark eggs, but I also want to breed them a little bit as well.

Back
Top Bottom