Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Hello everyone!
frow.gif

I'm just curious, we had purchased Blue Copper Maran hatching eggs from a local breeder...from the eggs we set we ended up with 4 (out of 6) hatching. Of those four we have a very clear blue copper maran hen and then three others that look more like black coppers to me...what is the cause of this? Also, the blue copper came out of an egg that was not as dark as I had hoped (it was a free extra egg the breeder gave us)...it was more of a lighter brown. The others are all from darker eggs (still not as dark as i had expected
hu.gif
)

Is this from poor breeding / stock? They are lovely healthy birds...

Out of the three black copper looking ones there are two hens, one is clearly all black with white on a few wing feathers, then one black with coppering coming out on her neck. Then the third is a clear roo, all black except for copper coming out on his neck already.

Too much black copper in the breeding? I know that the breeder has both, not sure about how they go about their breeding though.
I have photos if you'd like to see, they are about 5 weeks old now.

TIA

Hello everyone!
frow.gif

I'm just curious, we had purchased Blue Copper Maran hatching eggs from a local breeder...from the eggs we set we ended up with 4 (out of 6) hatching. Of those four we have a very clear blue copper maran hen and then three others that look more like black coppers to me...what is the cause of this? Also, the blue copper came out of an egg that was not as dark as I had hoped (it was a free extra egg the breeder gave us)...it was more of a lighter brown. The others are all from darker eggs (still not as dark as i had expected
hu.gif
)

Is this from poor breeding / stock? They are lovely healthy birds...

Out of the three black copper looking ones there are two hens, one is clearly all black with white on a few wing feathers, then one black with coppering coming out on her neck. Then the third is a clear roo, all black except for copper coming out on his neck already.

Too much black copper in the breeding? I know that the breeder has both, not sure about how they go about their breeding though.
I have photos if you'd like to see, they are about 5 weeks old now.

TIA

send some photos .
that is normal some breeder run the Black copper and the Blue copper together .so they get 50% each .

Blue does not breed true if bred together .always will give a black and splash .

chooks man

Here are some photos:

#1 (sugar) all black pullet

#2 (cinnamon) copper neck pullet

Front in the photo , at the back is our olive egger crimson.

#3 blue pullet

This photo shows #4 suspected roo to the left

#4 roo

To the left

To the left

Some of these photos are from them being 4 or so weeks old. I will have more updated ones soon. Cinnamon is particularly elusive to the camera!

Last edited:
Here are some photos:

#1 (sugar) all black pullet

#2 (cinnamon) copper neck pullet

Front in the photo , at the back is our olive egger crimson.

#3 blue pullet

This photo shows #4 suspected roo to the left

#4 roo

To the left

To the left

Some of these photos are from them being 4 or so weeks old. I will have more updated ones soon. Cinnamon is particularly elusive to the camera!
they look good .

you have to train them to the camera with a treat . they learn quick . so when they see the camera they think food ( animals loves they food ) .

good luck

chooks man

Mine love watermelon, cucumbers, scrambled eggs. They are less picky than my pigs!

scrambled egg ,they love them .

I give them earth worm .cricket and all sort of bugs I can find .

best photos are taking after a cricket treat . they chase them and run around with them ,trying to still them from each other .

they come all pump up and they comb and face goes red .

when they come back for more I take photos ,they don t mind it , they just want more of what is in the box .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom