Blue Cuckoo Marans??

Wild_Flower

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
I purchased this pullet from a feed store that had her listed as a blue cuckoo marans but as I don’t have any experience with the breed, I’m not sure if this is the case. I thought cuckoos had barring and I kind of see some on her wings now that she’s older but still have no idea lol
I included pics of her when she was a chick and also some of her now (she’s about a week shy of 6 months old).
Her nosy photo bombing friend is one I got from the same store and is supposed to be an olive egger. I can’t wait to start seeing some eggs from these gals!

Attachments

• IMG_4661.jpeg
    IMG_4661.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4665.jpeg
    IMG_4665.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4669.jpeg
    IMG_4669.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6081.jpeg
    IMG_6081.jpeg
    753.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6077.jpeg
    IMG_6077.jpeg
    742.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6078.jpeg
    IMG_6078.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 32
looks like an Olive egger. French cuckoo marans will have feathered legs and barring regular cuckoo will just have barring and both pale shanks. This looks like an australop mix. She is pretty ☺️
It’s very light but she does have feathered legs so I’m so confused lol

It’s very light but she does have feathered legs so I’m so confused lol
WIth the growing popularity of backyard chickens and so many new mixed breeds (Prairie Bluebell Eggers for example), I am wondering if we are going to start to see some accidental "mutts" showing up. We are very confused by a few we've gotten...Marans that lays blue eggs, etc. I wonder if "pure breed" chickens will become something like that in the dog world...harder to come by. Your bird is adorable either way and very unique looking. It will be fun to see what the egg color will be.

I agree, cuckoo is a barred pattern. I think I might see what you're talking about in the wings. Considering a lot of hatcheries probably breed for other things than "type" and a lot of people have criticized the barring on barred rocks a while back, it seems possible. And the feathered legs make her look more like a marans or cross. I had the midnight majesty marans, essentially a sex link. I think your bird could also be an olive egger made with marans, but you'd think they'd try to avoid using feathered footed breeds, unless the hatchery's catalog warned you that "these olive eggers usually have feathered feet".

Which hatchery does the feed store use?

Back
Top Bottom