BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
With conscientious breeding, I think we can restore vitality to the 1st line.
Interested in theories regarding how to go about this. Since they all came from very few birds, just crossing different breeder's birds wouldn't seem to do it. We had good luck with vigor in our first line birds, but others clearly have had other experiences and some serious issues. Darwinism? If only the strong survive and we continue to breed the very small gene pool of only the strongest individuals, is that enough? Is there a viable amount of genetic material to breed forward without carefully selected new blood importation?

Interested in theories regarding how to go about this. Since they all came from very few birds, just crossing different breeder's birds wouldn't seem to do it. We had good luck with vigor in our first line birds, but others clearly have had other experiences and some serious issues. Darwinism? If only the strong survive and we continue to breed the very small gene pool of only the strongest individuals, is that enough? Is there a viable amount of genetic material to breed forward without carefully selected new blood importation?
Other rare breeds have been saved with fewer birds. The key is getting more breeding groups to work with and work together. We need to take the groups of 1st line birds that still exist and practice a cooperative rotational breeding program. The more we can find, the better. After a few generations of dedicated effort, the genetics of the groups would naturally start to diverge. Adding in very carefully chosen mixed line birds could help with diversification. I wouldn't add a 2nd line bird directly into the 1st line program, but only those that have been bred back to the 1st line for at least 2 generations and compare favorably to the original 1st line birds.

[COLOR=333333]The 1st line is just much more uniform. The second line has many undesirable characteristics that need to be removed through careful breeding. I have 1st, 2nd and mixed line birds. It is easy to tell the 1st line are Isbars. The 2nd and mixed line birds show influences of what look like Marans and Ameraucanas to me. My guess is whoever GFF purchased their 2nd line from was working on egg color and crossbreeding. On the FB page, we have had discussions with members of the preservation group over in Sweden about some of the characteristics that are showing up in the 2nd line. I don't think all the preservation group Isbars in Sweden are as uniform as the 1st line birds we have here, but they don't have the odd characteristics that are showing up in the 2nd line here - red or copper hackles, saddle and wings; small pea-like combs; lack of wattles; larger body type; others that are not coming to mind at the moment. Some of the birds from the 2nd line do appear very similar to the 1st line, but it is hard to say what their genetics are hiding.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Some things that I am not fond of in the 2nd line, but we haven't directly addressed if it shows up in the preservation flocks are higher incidences of brown egg layers and lighter eyes.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The 2nd line does add much needed diversity, but trying to breed a flock uniform enough to be recognized as a breed from them alone would be a very long project, IMO. With conscientious breeding, I think we can restore vitality to the 1st line.[/COLOR]

This is sooooo interesting- thank you for putting all this information out. I had no idea of the less desirable traits of the 2nd generation, especially the brown egg! This clears up who might be laying the lone light brown egg in my coop!!
I have ~25 2nd gen Greenfire Isbars. I actually kind of prefer the heavier built ones as they are friendlier and not as flighty. I have a lovely variety of different green eggs- especially love the speckled minty green ones
2764.png

I plan to breed them in the future but only to produce more for myself, not to show or sell (I adore my basket of varied greenies). Is it best to keep the one best of the three roosters I saved or should I get one from someone else?

I have two chicks hatch out 6-7 weeks ago. Same day hatch. The white and silver is a olive egger and the blue laced is a isbar. As you all know. Here's my question. I am new to this breed. I swear Olivia is a cockerel ! Only because I have read in the past. If you have two together one matures faster. That being said she does have pullet actions. Here are a few pictures. I'm hoping it a hen!
the white is a obvious cockerel. Does anyone hAve a idea about the gender? My hubby and I have a $ bet going
1f60e.png

I feay hope it's a hen As I have fallen in love with her or him

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom